many arduino "tutorials " annoy!

hi, this is the third beginner setup i made (as i 1 succeeded to let a LED blink, succeeded to let it fade and 3, succeeded to let a stepper motor run :slight_smile: )

and now there's this problem letting a new VMA318 RGB LED shine :cry:

what did i do? on breadboard:

i connected the - (gnd) sign on the rgb led to the power gnd on arduino

i connected Red (on RGB LED) with a 220R (no 180 av.) resistor to ~11 on arduino)

i connected Green (on RGB LED) with a 100R (no 110 av.) resistor to ~9 on arduino and

i connected Blue (on RGB LED) with a 100R (no 110 av.) resistor to ~10 on arduino

after that i chose, verified and uploaded the EsploraBlink tutorial code to the arduino (clone) in windows 7 (installation arduino driver went succesfully, comport says: arduino on 3)

code:

This example is in the public domain.
 */

#include <Esplora.h>

void setup() {
  // There's nothing to set up for this sketch
}

void loop() {
  Esplora.writeRGB(255, 0, 0);  // make the LED red
  delay(1000);                  // wait 1 second
  Esplora.writeRGB(0, 255, 0);  // make the LED green
  Esplora.writeRGB(0, 0, 255);  // make the LED blue
  Esplora.writeRGB(255, 255, 0); // make the LED yellow
  Esplora.writeRGB(0, 255, 255); // make the LED cyan
  Esplora.writeRGB(255, 0, 255); // make the LED magenta
  Esplora.writeRGB(255, 255, 255); // make the LED white

}

and now i got error message Exit status 1 (seems the arduino LIKES to show error messages again and again :angry: )

:cry: :cry: :cry:

(help)

k.

You need to post more of the error: the pane in the IDE where that Exit status 1 appeared scrolls and can be dragged bigger and there should be more info there to help debug.

sorry, missed that, it says:

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 7), Board:"Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Arduino_1.8.1.0\libraries\Esplora\src\Esplora.cpp:54:26: error: 'A11' was not declared in this scope

const byte ACCEL_Y_PIN = A11;

^

exit status 1
Fout bij het compileren van board Arduino/Genuino Uno

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

my guess: must have to do with the esplora library, WHY does arduino put errors in their OWN code??? (im a newbie you know!)

btw i now did turn the verbose mode on

An Uno has no A11 so no wonder :wink:

(new subject: well... some arduino tutorials do annoy)

oh i see,

well im a newbie, used to do things by the book

the IDE examples menu says: Examples for any board (should include my VMA100 board as a 100% compatible, am i right?)

next step: went to the esplora examples and in the beginners found: esplorablink, meant to let a RGB LED (VMA318 in my case) blink

i did verify the code and uploaded and all i got was: exit status 1 and some more abacadabra and sheer frustration only...

("thanx arduino"... :confused: )

The "exit status 1" error is shown at the end of the output when there's been any sort of error. Above that, other errors will be printed - these will point to the line number the the problem is on (or at least, where the compiler realized there was an error), and a short description of the error.

I'm confused, you say you're using an Uno, but the code you posted above is including the Esplora library. The esplora is a different board based on a different microcontroller than the Uno. It has features not present on the Uno. So it should come as no surprise that code written for it won't work on the Uno.

keith12345:
my guess: must have to do with the esplora library, WHY does arduino put errors in their OWN code??? (im a newbie you know!)

They don't. And until you learn to start suspecting what you did instead of blaming the platform or the core you're going to really have a tough time getting into this.

oh? howcome the IDE (1.8.1.0 version) examples menu still says: Examples for any board?? (should include my arduino uno clone) even the arduino IDE tools menu knows im dealing with an arduino uno (clone)

(and "suspecting what í did??") pls let me tell u about another anomaly:

the IDE 1.8.1.0 version wouldn't let me fade a 5v led in and out

after some googling i found out the IDE 0.0.2.1. version wóuld let me fade (with the very same sketch!) and YES it did!

need to say more?... :wink: arduino sure is nice sofar as riddles not are included (well, as a newbie maybe i better stick to the previous versions)

btw besides the arduino story i did assemble all of my desktop pc's myself, they look nice and neat, working day, week, month, year in and out! besides some disreputable OS's no problems , so technical things cant be of my worry too much anyway

k.

keith12345:
(should include my VMA100 board as a 100% compatible) pls explain thát

100% compatible to an Uno maybe, but an Uno's not an Esplora.

oh now i see! :astonished: So arduino better should have put it like this: any board but the uno or: any board beside the uno...

well, still NO examples (sketches) for a RGB LED are available for beginners yet :frowning: (anyway i found out how to connect the VMA318 and resistors to the uno :slight_smile: )

anyone has a sketch to let the VMA318 RGB LED work?? i'm quite a newbie in this matters so no experience in C++ etc

any sketch, any help concerning this LED can be a help to me to understand C++ more and more

Here are the examples for all the boards, and then you look in that list and it has examples for this board or that board. But you kind of have to look at which board it is to see what it will run on. The title doesn't mean here are sketches that run on any board, it means, here are all the other sketches for all the other boards.

If you want to blame the Arduino for your own stupidity then go ahead. If you think it is so horrible then don't use it. Simple as that. Nobody here cares if you want to go to some other platform. Have fun with it. Or if you want to add some more examples, code them and submit them. But please, stop bitching.

When you go to get a part for your car, and you go to the parts store and the guy says yes, we have parts for all sorts of cars. DO you think that means that any of the parts will fit any car? Or do you think that they have different parts for all sorts of specific cars?

The minimum you have to do is to build the code for the card you are actually using.

i know, just thats the problem, everyone feels good telling newbies what they did wrong but no-one did care to provide for real help to get to even the slightest >start< of code to let a VMA318 RGB LED working on my board :frowning:

well at least my radio shack did promiss to take care of that where they can tomorrow :slight_smile:

somewhere on the net i noticed the very same VMA318 RGB LED connected to an arduino uno over a breadboard and >>>with resistors!<<< (110R for the blue and green and 180R for the red) howcome they still seem to need resistors to let it work on a arduino uno? one says: this RGB LED need no resitors and another says: it does... :confused:

And most of the time you just have to select the right card in the menu of the IDE.

not mé! :slight_smile: as im not one of the dummies who forgets such most of the time as i put that to the right setting right from the start (arduino uno) :wink: over all just coding is my problem, no more

ahhh Pepe thanks!! :slight_smile: as u did prove as well i was right with the resistors

curious for the other VMA318 RGB LEDS issues on this forum i now am, will take my time to study those

Will let u know how far it got me

It would be easy for Arduino to prevent this sort of confusion. Something like:

#if !defined(__AVR_ATmega32U4__) && !defined(__AVR_ATmega16U4__)
#error This library is not compatible with the selected board. It was written for Arduino Esplora and other ATmega32U4 based boards.
#endif

All "Examples for any board" means is the library is included with the Arduino IDE (as opposed to 3rd party libraries or ones bundled with hardware packages) and matches the architecture of the selected board. I agree that's somewhat misleading, it could have been worded differently.

keith12345:
pls let me tell u about another anomaly:

after some googling i found out the IDE 0.0.2.1. version wóuld let me fade (with the very same sketch!) and YES it did!

need to say more?... :wink:

If you want help with the issue then you definitely do need to say more. So you found some ancient sketch that doesn't work with Arduino IDE 1.8.1 (there is no 1.8.1.0, please use the correct versions). By "IDE 0.0.2.1 do you mean 0021? Again, please use the correct versions, I know it was an idiotic version notation they used back then but we're stuck with it. That's not enough information for us to help you. We would need you to actually post the code. Arduino IDE 1.8.1 can certainly fade an LED. Certain things have changed over time that may require you to modify code. Most of these changes have been for good reasons and constitute an improvement. 0021 was 6.5 years ago, an eon in the world of Arduino

Of course you wouldn't put it in the example sketches. You put it in the Esplora library. There's no overhead so why not? As you have said "The purpose of Arduino is to simplify the making of projects." This is an inherently complex thing to learn and I agree it requires a genuine effort from the user no matter what but Arduino attempts to reduce the number of unnecessary complications to ease the learning curve.

ehh, as a newbie to Arduino and C++ ! it would be a great help (from the community) to provide for a very simple sketch (no fading or so) just a simple piece of code to let me assure the RGB LED is working indeed

i sure did my beginner thingies and did succeed to let a single led blink and fade!, let a stepper motor run forward and backward and stíll didnt fry any of the components SO... who will stop me now? im a winner! :slight_smile: (caughs)

YEZZZ!!! finally i succeeded to let the RGB LED (rise and) shine :slight_smile:

NOT an arduino sketch did the trick but an Adafruit ( :slight_smile: ) sketch did Thanx to my radio shack for the tip

so nice to mix lights and get to white light as well :slight_smile: (just the cool(er) source of white light needed for my filmprojector/filmscanner project)

next step: to come to a new selfmade bracket for the RGB LED right behind the aperture plate (instead of the 100 W original lamp, since such a lamp is way too hot for a static filmstrip)

please tell me!,

WHY does a LED fade in and out in IDE 0021 and most certainly NOT in IDE 181???
arduino gives me the creeps over and over

arduino sometimes sure is like Catweazle: nothing works... :frowning:

keith12345:
pls let me tell u about another anomaly:

need to say more?... :wink:

pert:
If you want help with the issue then you definitely do need to say more. So you found some ancient sketch that doesn't work with Arduino IDE 1.8.1 (there is no 1.8.1.0, please use the correct versions). By "IDE 0.0.2.1 do you mean 0021? Again, please use the correct versions, I know it was an idiotic version notation they used back then but we're stuck with it. That's not enough information for us to help you. We would need you to actually post the code. Arduino IDE 1.8.1 can certainly fade an LED. Certain things have changed over time that may require you to modify code. Most of these changes have been for good reasons and constitute an improvement. 0021 was 6.5 years ago, an eon in the world of Arduino

If you want help then provide the necessary information. If you just want to whine then go somewhere else because nobody here cares.