Things to make

Definitely warrants some critical testing before a lot of effort is put into cutting the final version of the leaves.

A few veins would add some interest, but not too much external edge embellishment.

Maybe replace the flames in the original image with leaves and keep the rectangles.

They all look great. Do you have any links to the bird lamp?

@larry, i think you might be better off with a neopixel ring....

I have seen 13mm addressable leds sold seperately at DealExtreme years ago. Each one had long leads, not real cheap either.

Bird lamp on eBay, expensive, thought I might try my had at wood carving. :slight_smile:

Neopixel rings?
Been there done that, thought this art piece had some artistic appeal.
Trying to make something that we won’t easily tire of.

I’M think cutting several pixels from a strip will work.
Maybe get 2-3 pixels on a PCB made from PCBWAY.
Have to make some leaves of different sizes and try them before cutting the whole bunch on the CNC.

Unless you're going to run them with a Tiny, why go addressable for just a few RGB leds? 328P/168P have the pins to do 6.

1 meter circumference is just over 12.53" diameter, about right for a lampshade though it'd take a lot of strips to cover one but that one could make a heck of a show, take that Tiffany and your lame colored glass!

larryd:
Bird lamp on eBay, expensive, thought I might try my had at wood carving. :slight_smile:
Cyan Designs 05206 Ibis Black Satin Shade Table Lamp - Ancient Gold for sale online | eBay

Yikes! Cause it's solid gold, right?

May lay golden eggs. ???

If bird on a leg lamp is expensive, what about the other leg lamp?

:smiley:

Nice...but where is the rest of this lamp?

Cocktail waitress at Tramp Tower.

wilykat:

:smiley:

Fun fact: Peter Billingsley (who went by Peter Michaelsen at the time) was my chemistry student in 1988.

So you taught him not to discard anything after dissection.

We dissected water in chemistry and got fire. Then we learned about air and earth but still can't make gold.

GoForSmoke:
We dissected water in chemistry and got fire. Then we learned about air and earth but still can't make gold.

No, that's physics.

Here's an alchemist trick demo: mix gold leaf with sulfur. Heat the mixture until the sulfur partially melts, and cast the mixture into pea sized balls. Present it to the king as sulfur, then boil the beads in sweet vitriol. Ignite the liquid (sweet vitriol contains ether and sulfuric acid) and it completely burns off with an intense blue flame and extremely acrid smoke (sulfur oxides.) Small blobs of gold remain when it cools. Do this when the king talks about beheading his alchemist.

wilykat:

That fringe wouldn't last long. :slight_smile:

...R

On Terry Pratchett's Discworld, alchemists perfected the trick of turning gold into less gold.

I thought that was Wall Street's trick.

They make pensions dissapear.