Please!!! Please help I am new

So I bought two arduinos to start with. Yea I installed all of the drives and what not but then I accidentally broke it so on my new arduino do I need to do anything like reinstall the drivers or just hook it up and use it?????

Crazycr1ss
You have to hold your arduino a bit closer, as I can't see it.

Seriously
Which of the multitude boars is it, as there are different drivers.
Can we assume you have at least tried the guide here http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage.
Does the light come on when you plug the board in.
Which version of windows/linux/mac etc are you running.
If you are running one flavour of windows, have you looked in the devices to see if its there.

There are many things to check and at least pass on, since our crystal ball doesn't work through this forum.

Mark

I fryed my IC chip when I put 10 volts through it the wrong way. It an arduino UNO and I use a windows vista computer and the light doesn't blip it is simply off (the restart light). But what I need to now is that if I can just connect my new arduino UNO without the need of installing the drivers again on my computer? And thank you Mark (ps I did check the guide thanks)

Criss

Criss
Sorry to hear about the frying.
Now that we all have some more info, its easier to help.

You shouldn't need to install new drivers, the computer should recognise it, and read the Atmeag8u2 (the usb chip)signature.
A bit like sticking the same pen drive into the computer, it doesn't reload the driver.

2 questions :-
Was it still connected to the computer when you stuck 10 volts into it, because its possible that it took out the usb port.
You can prove this by putting another usb device in and seeing if it works.

Assumming the port works, can you see the com port when you run the Arduino program.
It should appear when you plug it in, and go away. You will have to look under Tools Serial Port.
You could also check under device manager (sorry not exactly sure where it in in Win7) to see if it is there.

I presume you have sorted out the 10 volt thing, so that you don't kill another one.
Can we presume that you have a new board, or did you just get another 328 loaded with the bootloader.

Mark

First of your questions:
The arduino was not connected to the computer or anything. And I am sure the USB did not come out .Also I tested my iPhone via USB

The port does not work I have tried all possible to look for it including what u said and it doesn't show up. In the tools/serialport it's not there it's com4 and only com3 would show up

And yes I have sorted out the 10 volt Thing :P. Yes I bought a hole new arduino UNO not just the atmega chip

Criss
Okay, great info.
Hopefully you tested your iPhone in the same port.??

Windows is a strange creature, and from what I heard Vista is no different of them.
I'm familar with XP, 2k but not ME, Vista or 7 so you will have to forgive me for that.

The fact the whole board has been replaced is good.
I'm presuming here that it used to be Com4, however plugging it into one of the other usb sockets (some comupters have 4) means Windows will go away and load the drivers automatically, and can give it a different port number.
Because Windows has seen this device before (the ATmega8u2 has an electronic signature which tells windows what sort of device it is), it knows what to do, and where to find the driver previously installed.

Can you get into Device Manager (sorry can't tell how on vista) and in step 4 here http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows see what is on Port3.
If it is the UNO, and the fact you can see a port3 in tools / serial, use this.

Hope this helps...a bit
See how you go with this, and I'll check on vista before the next suggestion.

Mark

Thankyou so much for all the help mark. And yes it was com4 but I tried com 3 and it always put an error sign when I tried to load a sketch of mine. AgAin thankyou very much Mark for all the help. On the broken Arduino UNO I will take out the atmega chip and keep it. But I might discard of the board(broken one) and just use my brand new one :smiley:

Criss
Glad we got to the bottom of it.

Just where did you shove the 10volts. It may have just blown the fuse.
It possible the chip doesn't work or any of the chips on the board.

Another time to diagnose what is blown up.

Mark

So i put the two wires on the ten volt battery terminals. i connect the positive with the positive lead of a piezo speaker and put that in the 12 slot thing on the arduino. then i conected everything to ground and thats when the arduino uno turned on. After that the arduino never again wanted to register with the computer. (no nergy was running through the arduino while conducting this)]\

Criss

Criss
Nice annoying little name tag....

Okay just so I get my head around your circuit.
10 voltage battery (where do you find a 10v battery...sure its not 9v)
Piezo speaker with its positive connected to the battery positive.

and put that in the 12 slot thing on the arduino

OK I presume you refer to the 2 x 6 way connector which is located on the left of the board (assumming you have the USB up).

Now just which pin did you put this into.

Also please confirm if your UNO board has the same ATmega328 as in this picture http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Cheers
Mark

Crazycr1ss:
(no nergy was running through the arduino while conducting this)

No nergy is running through me either.

What 10V battery exactly? Can you post a picture of it? I suspect it is quite rare, and therefore quite valuable.

I am so sorry I meant a 9v battery from Duracell

Okay
That solves that one.
Now

Now just which pin did you put this into.

Also please confirm if your UNO board has the same ATmega328 as in this picture http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

???

Mark