Need help with two errors

The parameters I used were global variables, as pointed out previously, so I guess I don't need to pass them so I removed them.
Now I am getting these errors:

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:140:41: error: cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

char theyear = dayStamp.substring(0, 4);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:141:42: error: cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

char themonth = dayStamp.substring(5, 7);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:142:41: error: cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

char theday = dayStamp.substring(9, 11);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:143:32: error: no match for call to '(String) (int, int)'

char thehour = timeStamp(0, 2);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:144:44: error: cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

char theminute = timeStamp.substring(3, 5);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:145:44: error: cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

char thesecond = timeStamp.substring(6, 8);

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:149:21: error: request for member 'toint' in 'theyear', which is of non-class type 'char'

yearval = theyear.toint();

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:150:23: error: request for member 'toint' in 'themonth', which is of non-class type 'char'

monthval = themonth.toint();

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:151:19: error: request for member 'toint' in 'theday', which is of non-class type 'char'

dayval = theday.toint();

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:154:21: error: request for member 'toint' in 'thehour', which is of non-class type 'char'

hourval = thehour.toint();

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:155:25: error: request for member 'toint' in 'theminute', which is of non-class type 'char'

minuteval = theminute.toint();

^

My_60_Pixel_Ring_Clock_Version_3:156:25: error: request for member 'toint' in 'thesecond', which is of non-class type 'char'

secondval = thesecond.toint();

^

exit status 1
cannot convert 'String' to 'char' in initialization

I would guess that I am not using the proper way to convert the string to an integer. The formatted date and time comes in a string like 2019-03-28T16:00:13Z. What I am trying to do is to separate the year, month, day, hour, minute and second using substrings and then converting each one to an integer.