Can I use speaker wire to wire all my projects? Is speaker wire same as regular

jratftcc:
guys 600 feet right off the bat means about 60 different LED runs at less than 10 feet each - which is less than 600 feet

I just need to use it to light LED's in series, pretty much holiday lights that will blink to my liking.

Im getting people saying this that, when Im thinking the ampacity isnt going to be high for 5 5mm led's

I should be able to use fire alarm wire shouldnt I. Doorbell wire would work as well wouldnt it?
I saw the speaker wire on ebay and thought it was a great price -- but Ive come across some other auctions and think I might go after them

But for future reference, can I use speaker wire?
Its copper.

I was just wondering if speaker wire would impede more than regular wire would?

But am I safe to assume that I could get away with doorbell wire, or alarm wire, so long as the ampacity requirements will cover the 5 led sets I want to use?

Selecting wire for a specific usage is a pretty straight forward task. You need to know the maximum current flow that the wire will be asked to pass, that determines the gage size (thickness) of wire you should be using. The source voltage should also be known to see if it conforms with the insulation maximum voltage rating of the wire. Type of insulation could be a selection criteria depending on how you are going to run the wire and what environmental hardships it might be exposed to. Finally the choice of solid wire or stranded wire should be determined depending on if the wire is going to be subjected to movement or not and possibly on connector compatibility.

Just calling something 'speaker wire' does little to tell you what it's electrical specification and physical attributes might be. So basically you haven't provided enough information for someone to give you an opinion of if what you are looking at might be useful for what you want to use it for.

Lefty