32mHz ARDUINO PROJECTS.. ATMega328P etc...

Interesting views - as I said I havent had any problems YET

Ray, thats an interesting concept for the frquency drop before eeprom write, I do use eeprom within the app, but I am guessing it doesnt matter much about the frequency when programming via USBASP ??

I also tried using standard xtals, I bought a range to try, I could only get to 24mHz before it became hit and miss...

I have dozens of 20/24/25/32 mHz crystals if anyone wants them !! :slight_smile:

I have dozens of 20/24/25/32 mHz crystals

I very much doubt that :wink:

mcnobby:
Interesting views - as I said I havent had any problems YET

probably wouldnt ever because not many people reprogram tens of thousands of times. typically a few dozen or hundred. and you might not notice that the 10-20 yr retention spec was compromised.

eeprom tolerates about an order of magnitude more cycles so unless writing constantly wouldnt notice there either. rare applications that reprogram flash a lot and need long data storage might have a problem though.

also worth noting that the programming timer is not influenced by clk prescale so while slowing the cpu helps with power consumption, it does not fix the flash retention problem.

mcnobby:
I also tried using standard xtals, I bought a range to try, I could only get to 24mHz before it became hit and miss...

glad to see you were able to duplicate my own crystal experiments.

they are so cheap i also have dozens of different crystals, even hundreds for common values like 16mhz. not that unbelievable.

even hundreds for common values like 16mhz. not that unbelievable.

Yes, it really, really is.
In thirty odd years in the electronics industry, I have never, ever seen a single "20/24/25/32 mHz" crystal.

AWOL:
Yes, it really, really is.
In thirty odd years in the electronics industry, I have never, ever seen a single "20/24/25/32 mHz" crystal.

Ah, I get it now... 20/24/25/32 mhz = 1041 hz :slight_smile:

or perhaps you meant I spelled Mega Hertz with a small M, so its milli Hertz !!

That really HURTZ !! ha ha

UPDATE : I have tried & tested 32MHz crystal oscillators on many ATMega328, ATTiny85, and ATTiny13A (all 20MHz variants) I have decided to push things to the limit...

I have ordered one 40mhz oscillator for testing.. these things run at a juicy 40ma plus more current drawn from the microprocessor because of the extra speed.

I shall revisit with my results soon :slight_smile:

Do you feel the need for speed?

ChilliTronix:
Do you feel the need for speed?

IMO..

Not just speed, but the thrill of the chase.

Ray

For a while, I was thinking that one of the new XMega chips running at 32MHz would be a useful addition to the Arduino line. Now, I just think that anyone who needs the speed should jump to one of the ARM boards.

Yes, make those LEDs blink really fast ... even faster delay() for button pushes ...

Ha ha, thanks all !!

westFw, I have been thinking about the arm stuff, even to the point of getting several stm32f1 boards after the (now very long) topic was started on here.

for me its not a simple jump, I write in C AND assembler, the task of learning the 32bit assembly and all the register manupulation didnt suit me too well as I am just about coping with 8 bit !!

:slight_smile:

Crossroads, it is mainly for multicolour VGA purposes, I really need the speed !!

for me its not a simple jump [to ARM]

This online class has just started, and I highly recommend it. If you already have experience programming AVRs in C and assembly, you'll be well ahead of "median" background, but it's STILL a good introduction to ARM programming...

Cheers WestFw, I think I would need to sign up as I cant see much on that page/link

Link with no-login-required info (also, previous post "fixed"): Embedded Systems - Shape The World: Microcontroller Input/Output

Interesting, I had found I could run at around 24 MHz (note the M) with a crystal but not faster. Now I am motivated to try faster clock inputs, excluding crystals.

AWOL:
I very much doubt that :wink:

Annoyingly, the proper capitalization of 1,000 is k but 1,000,000 is M.

Yes Nick, I got that far too, but then realised I had to switch to a TTL clock gen for higher speeds as the micro wasnt able to drive the crystal or something, I cant remember the full reason but thats in the past now

:slight_smile:

@mcnobby,

I have looked for the crystal that you are using but, have not found a cheap way to buy a crystal just for playing around. However, I ordered a breakout board last night that may prove interesting!
Adafruit Si5351A Clock Generator Breakout Board - 8KHz to 160MHz

The breakout board is not practical for a finished product but, it will allow me to find out how fast an Arduino can go. :slight_smile:

cyclegadget:
I have looked for the crystal that you are using but, have not found a cheap way to buy a crystal just for playing around.

I have been using THESE. they are about £0.19p each in qty of 10, but they are surface mount which can be a problem if you just use standard mount

I did find some surplus stock standard mount ones on ebay, bought a load for testing/playing very cheap, I have had a look but cant find them anymore