What can I replace a BSS138 N-Channel MOSFET with?

I'm replicating this level shifter by Sparkfun (https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/f/3/3/4/4/526842ae757b7f1b128b456f.png) where they use a transistor that I don't have. Frankly, I know next to nothing about transistors so reading the specs is way over my head at this point. I do have a "kit" that I bought that has a bunch of them that might be able to replace the BSS138.

Here's the list of the transistors that I have. Can anyone suggest a replacement for the BSS138?

2N4401, 2N3904, PN2222, 8050, PN4393, J113, 2N3055, TIP41C, TIP31A, 2N5458, 2N3904, 2N3906, 2N5088, 2N4401, BC547

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What are the values of the voltages in the circuit?

Weedpharma

All the transistors you have are bipolar junction transistors (I think) except the J113, (which is a JFET), whereas you really need a MOSFET for the level converter. One with a similar threshold to the BSS138, (logic-level).
Edit: Correction, the 2n5458 is also a JFET.

You'll need to buy suitable MOSFETs.

May I suggest that you buy BSS138 MOSFETs?

They're readily available from many suppliers including Digikey, Mouser, Farnell (element14), RS Components and even eBay.

Any small signal MOSFET will probably do if it is logic level, has on resistance of 6 or less ohms and can handle 0.2A or more.

Personally, I always considered the 2N7000 or 2N7002 to be a close replacement.

Do you really need bidirectionality?
Unless you're switching a pin between Input & Output states then you do not.
Many 5V inputs are fine with a 3.3V 'HIGH'.
Getting the 5V down to 3V (for devices that aren't '5V tolerant') is pretty easy to do with a couple of resistors.

Thanks everyone for the help. Apparently I need to brush up on transistors (something I've been postponing).

I tried connecting the ESP8266 to the Arduino using the many hookup guides available online but I'm getting really inconsistent results. I borrowed the Sparkfun level shifter from a guy and tried it with my ESP8266 and it worked perfectly so I'm trying to reproduce those results.
Looks like I'm going to end up buying some BSS138 though as that seems to be the only solution at hand.

Thanks!

ardilla:
Thanks everyone for the help. Apparently I need to brush up on transistors (something I've been postponing).

I tried connecting the ESP8266 to the Arduino using the many hookup guides available online but I'm getting really inconsistent results. I borrowed the Sparkfun level shifter from a guy and tried it with my ESP8266 and it worked perfectly so I'm trying to reproduce those results.
Looks like I'm going to end up buying some BSS138 though as that seems to be the only solution at hand.

Thanks!

As mentioned by others, many MOSFETs could replace the BSS138, but I figured that if you have to buy some, there's nothing like the original, since they're so widely available. :slight_smile:

I don't know where you're located, but here in Australia, RS Components have free courier delivery for online orders. They arrive in 2-3 days.

OldSteve:
As mentioned by others, many MOSFETs could replace the BSS138, but I figured that if you have to buy some, there's nothing like the original, since they're so widely available. :slight_smile:

I don't know where you're located, but here in Australia, RS Components have free courier delivery for online orders. They arrive in 2-3 days.

I'm in Canada and looks like Digikey ships here at a reasonable price. Funny how shipping costs more than the actual parts so I guess I'm forced to stock up on some other things :slight_smile:

Canada, Calgary has Solarbotics.

https://solarbotics.com/catalog/components/transistors/

Ontario, Watch how they quote there prices.

LarryD, thanks for those links! They will come in really handy!

ardilla:
I'm in Canada and looks like Digikey ships here at a reasonable price. Funny how shipping costs more than the actual parts [...]

Isn't that a kind of contradiction?

aarg:
Isn't that a kind of contradiction?

Every time I've been to Digikey since I moved here, the website showed a sign that said they couldn't ship to Canada (until I tried deleting the cookies and it let me change the country successfully). 10xBSS138 cost less than $3 and shipping costs $8 so I figured that since I'm spending that much on shipping I might as well stock up on other things!

ardilla:
Every time I've been to Digikey since I moved here, the website showed a sign that said they couldn't ship to Canada (until I tried deleting the cookies and it let me change the country successfully). 10xBSS138 cost less than $3 and shipping costs $8 so I figured that since I'm spending that much on shipping I might as well stock up on other things!

It's a good excuse to buy a few extra toys. :smiley:

ardilla:

Unless it jacks the shipping up in the process. From my experience playing with the cart, it does.