Convert Simple PIC project to Arduino nano - pay

I would like to transfer this project made with a PIC microcontroller into an Arduino Nano:

http://luxmonday.com/2018/07/26/modifying-a-boss-rc-3-to-add-a-korg-sync-output/

The link contains both the PIC code and the circuitboard.

I have tried contacting the author but I have not been able to.

If anyone is up for the challenge, let me know and send me a quote.

Best

Lameller

Maybe not a simple conversion, because the PIC used there has two analog comparators, the Nano only has one. So either a different method needs to be used or an external comparator is required.

Ok. Do you think another solution is possible in the nano?

lameller:
I would like to transfer this project made with a PIC microcontroller into an Arduino Nano:

Why?

The link contains both the PIC code and the circuitboard.

This sounds like there is a much easier route to get a working project.

I dont know how to burn the PIC and I dont have the necessary equipment to do it. I have a Nano, hence the idea to do it on that instead

If you're paying someone to do this, it's probably cost a lot less to buy a cheap PIC programmer!
https://www.ebay.com/i/191674291656?chn=ps

If there's some other reason you want it on a Nano, send me a PM and I'll see what we can do.

To make this transfer you have to count on at least 10-20 hours of engineering time. The price of that PIC programmer, plus the anticipated cost of the PCB and PIC itself, don't add up to pay for even the first half hour of engineering time.

That engineering time includes a few hours just for figuring out what the original program does and understanding how it's done. Then it has to be translated to an Arduino, the circuit itself has to be translated to the Arduino, and finally it requires testing. The last may be the hardest as you'd need the surrounding hardware as well.

That is, if indeed a direct translation is possible at all.

Fair enough. I will try the pic route instead. Thanks for your replies.

How much are you able/prepared to do yourself and do you know the requirements of the Korg Synthesizer ?

While it is true that the Nano does not have an equivalent for the PIC dual comparator feature, you can instead use 2 analog input pins to detect the falling edge of pulses measured at the LED pads.
Thus you can measure the frequency, generate a sync pulse output (double the input frequency) and align it with the input pulses.

From what I can see, you could even do it with an ATTINY85 but for development the Nano is easier to use.

Obviously it would be easier to use the PIC solution. But, if you want to start learning about Arduino, maybe this would be a good opportunity.

It could probably be done with two analog inputs, if the timing is not too critical. It's difficult to tell from the original project.