ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges

dtp30:
As anyone who has read my posts will know. This is a really exciting project!! I'm hugely into SNES gear. I make my own games / Do english translations. I have only done 1 translation.... BUT i have started a second. I was trying to think of some way how i could say "THANK YOU" for the time and effort spent by the people who have helped this project.

Because of this project, i found about writing to Nintendo Power Flash Carts. I didn't know anyone was working on that. I then found out about "Genjuu Ryodan". Its a NP Flash cart ONLY game. Its turn based stratgey (which i love). So i have started doing a english translation for it. Its only early days. But its almost playable. Thats what i have been working on.

D.

In a way, we've opened Pandora's box when we figured out how to rewrite the NP carts. Giving people the ability to rewrite the carts could result in the loss of some irreplaceable data. I've dumped close to 50 different games and found 3 previously unknown NP-exclusive revisions. These revisions were never released in retail cart form and are the last revision for each game. Extrapolating out over the full 179 NP game list, that would mean that there might be another 8 or 9 previously unknown game revisions out there.

For anyone that is planning on rewriting their NP cart, please consider backing up the original data (ROM + MAP). Even if the game is a known dump (GoodTools/NoIntro/etc), the data on each NP cart is unique. For single game carts (no menu), then the unique data is in the mapping. For multi-game carts with menu, then the unique data is in the menu and mapping. Even blank carts have unique data in the mapping.

I wanted to set up some type of repository to collect the original data but I didn't have the resources to do it. I'm now working with someone that wants to archive the complete original data and plans to make it available on the web. If anyone is willing to share their original NP dumps (Full ROM + MAP), then please PM me a link.

Good Luck with the translation!