CONTINUOUS ROTATION POT FOR WIND VANE

Hello everyone.

I will be as quick as posible,im on a weather station project with multiple instruments,i want to make a Wind vane based on a continuous rotation pot from this guy 3D printed wind vane He is using this Pot

My question is,is this really a continuous rotation pot? Because i read on the datasheet that it has a single turn.

kaloudis94:
Hello everyone.

I will be as quick as posible,im on a weather station project with multiple instruments,i want to make a Wind vane based on a continuous rotation pot from this guy 3D printed wind vane He is using this Pot

My question is,is this really a continuous rotation pot? Because i read on the datasheet that it has a single turn.

It really depends on what you buy! Options seem to be continuous or one of three possible stops.

You are aware, arn't you, that there will be a spot where resistance changes from high to low.

Paul

It doesn't state 360° the description. This one does.

You could always contact Bourns and make sure.

Have a look at this - a better way of doing it IMO:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instructables.com/id/8-Bit-Digital-Weather-Vane/%3Famp_page=true

dougp:

True, but it does give 5 possible part numbers for 5 different resistance values, all continuous turn.

Paul

dougp:

This one in the datasheet says Number of Turns: 1 Turn,so i assume it cannot turn forever whatever direction,anyhow is there any pot that can turn limitless?

hammy:
Have a look at this - a better way of doing it IMO:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instructables.com/id/8-Bit-Digital-Weather-Vane/%3Famp_page=true

i have tried with this engineering and i failed,cause the rotary encoders somehow manage to lose values sometimes,and trust me i have work on the rotary encoder vane a lot,not only by myself but with the help of this forum too,but i have not tested the bourns rotary encoder,it seems legit company of pots and staff,if i have no answer for the pot im looking for,i will try the bourns encoder.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES YOU'RE AWESOME :smiley:

kaloudis94:
but i have not tested the bourns rotary encoder,it seems legit company of pots and staff,if i have no answer for the pot im looking for,i will try the bourns encoder.

They're legit, they been doing this for years and years. The one linked is an absolute encoder so there won't be any 'missing'.

I have a DiY wind vane made using a AS5601 i2c magnetic angle sensor, much cheaper and easier to get here than 360 deg pots and the like.
Its roughly based on this instructable, but not quite as pretty...

I think commercial (like Skye Instruments) wind direction instruments are based on 360-degree pots.
But as Paul_KD7HB says, there comes that awkward moment when 360-degrees becomes 0-degrees.
The Skye Instruments kit I used when checking for the direction of smells had a 4-20mA output to add to the fun.
I was using a spreadsheet to interpret the output and divided the circle into sectors, so 0 to 45 degrees was NE and 315 to 360 degrees was NW. It was limited by the number of stacked "ifs" you could use. It's an awkward measurement when 360 ==0.