STUDENTS: Please don't confuse 'help', with us doing your work!

STUDENTS: Please don't confuse the idea of 'help', with us 'doing' your work!

It is reasonable to ask for guidance, or for ideas in how to approach a challenge, but if helpers do your work - you won't learn anything, and we will have diluted the pool of willing, competent users by giving you an unfair advantage!

Do you propose this as a "sticky"? Otherwise it will simply be lost in the mire unless "bumped" frequently, which would be troublesome in itself.

Have you noticed that people do not - as a matter of pride - read the instructions?

Hmm...
I'd like to see it as a sticky...

Maybe you could update it from time to time, Paul; I think you have access to do that. Maybe it could have some specifics like:

• Do not ask us to "Show you the code for my project". Ask "How can I do [something], how can I write code that [does some specific sub-function]

• Write some code that does PART of the thing you want to accomplish. Add another part. Ask about specific compiler errors you get, ask about "what's a better way to do [some function]

• Ask "What piece of hardware would be best for [some specific objective]??

• Do some searches before you ask. Like:

• THIS forum (upper right)

• http://ArduinoInfo.Info (upper right)

• Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (For general subject areas)

• Google (for specific content)

Say "Sorry, I don't understand about [this specific subject]. Not "This is probably a dumb question, but...

This is, sort of, covered in section 15 of the existing "How to use this forum" sticky.

we also don't like doing other people's homework for them, ... - we don't mind honest questions toward understanding, but we don't like being conned into doing someone's homework

Perhaps updating this might be useful but I don't think adding another sticky is going to make any difference - who reads them anyway? :angry:

Pete

It's true. What's needed is a "whacky". I have suggested that new users be forced to read simple stickies before being allowed to post, but apparently the forum software doesn't support that. Even then, most people would just scroll through it like it was a EULA.

Paul__B:
Do you propose this as a "sticky"? Otherwise it will simply be lost in the mire unless "bumped" frequently, which would be troublesome in itself.

Have you noticed that people do not - as a matter of pride - read the instructions?

Thats why I wrote it as an inline post...
At least it will get students' attention one time - if they look.
.,. or we give it a title something like 'Beyoncé uses Arduino in new music video'

How about "Arduino with nude"?

I'm confused about who you think will read this. Like, is the dude that waits till midnight of the day the project is due to post here looking for code really going to click anything but "new post."

nah bro. Insta-ban instead.

I'm afraid the moles will need to be whacked one-by-one.

ChrisTenone:

You are probably correct.

ChrisTenone:

LarryD:
You are probably correct.

Whacking them with sarcasm is fun, but it sometimes takes a while to identify them... wasted time & effort!

Not just sarcasm. Some folks try to be so cagey, but when questioned directly, with a word as to why disclosure is important, they will divulge enough details about their project to work with. I think there is a bit of guilt associated with asking for "the code" to their assignment. Little do they suspect, that by attempting to understand their replies here, they actually understand Arduinos (and the associated circuitry) a bit more.

It's a difficult way of learning, but effective!

ps, I did get a 'bit' sarcastic here.

If a student comes here for assistance, he/she has done great, finding a good resource for assistance. No one is expected to have the answers to every problem, but a good student knows where and how to find the answers. Why criticise a student for seeking answers here? Instead of a library they came here, that shows initiative, isn't that what we want in a student? The so-called ex-spurts here can be very hypocritical - where did they get their knowledge?

Brosco:
If a student comes here for assistance, he/she has done great, finding a good resource for assistance. No one is expected to have the answers to every problem, but a good student knows where and how to find the answers. Why criticise a student for seeking answers here? Instead of a library they came here, that shows initiative, isn't that what we want in a student? The so-called ex-spurts here can be very hypocritical - where did they get their knowledge?

Rubbish.
Not all, but a significant number - come here - simply to find the work already done, or to be directed to a site that has their work done for them. If they could copy from their classmates, they would... and learn nothing.
I recall a parable about fish & loaves, I think the parallel is justified.

lastchancename:
Rubbish.
Not all, but a significant number - come here - simply to find the work already done, or to be directed to a site that has their work done for them. If they could copy from their classmates, they would... and learn nothing.
I recall a parable about fish & loaves, I think the parallel is justified.

So how do you back up this so called 'significant number'????
I have no clue how the parable relates.

As we all know, sticky threads are quite useless. We need some informative, but blunt text above the post button for people with less than 10 posts.

Gammon's idea of having a checkbox saying 'I've read this info' before enabling the post button would be most useful.

Of course language barriers are a problem, however English alone would solve a big part of the issue.

Brosco:
So how do you back up this so called 'significant number'????
I have no clue how the parable relates.

Take a look at the 'help me' threads, where the OP says I need it tomorrow, or my class... etc. Yet has made no effort to post code, or even a concept of operation!

The parable refers to feeding or fishing. Take google on that as well.

I quite often give code to students seeking only a solution for their assignments.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. :wink:

(deleted)