URGENT - need help

This is my first project and I need to build one of these for tomorrow.

Can I do it using an Arduino?
What other parts will I need and how do I wire them up?
I don't have any programming experience can somebody help me with the code?

I think you'll need a Mega. Will your budget stretch that far?

...R

Do you think you can get it delivered in time to turn it in tomorrow?

You could probably use an uno if you have enough shift registers on hand.

My budget will stretch to a Mega but I have found out that the delivery costs for the other components for tomorrow are going to be way too high.

I have scaled back my ideas and I think I will build this instead as the courier cost for the bits will be more reasonable

The guy who made that said he need a high processing speed and had to build his own board using a SH7125 CPU. I guess that a "MEGA" should be able to do the same though?

ardly:
I guess that a "MEGA" should be able to do the same though?

Won't fit in the back pack !

A guy called Dean Kamen invented the Segway and lot of other cool stuff including a very sensitive prosthetic hand. I recommend looking for his stuff. And you could build a segway with an Arduino.

...R

What about a raspberry pi, I heard that megas can only do one thing at a time.

You just need this fancy RTOS library and it's all good. You can run windows 10 on a tiny85 if you can get that working.

Qdeathstar:
I heard that megas can only do one thing at a time.

if you're a crap programmer, it's true!

Mega can do multiple things at one time, but the things must be hardware specific things, like PWM with set & forget registers that run independently.
Every thing that is code dependent, that is true, only one thing can be done at a time from the user's point of view.
Then there things like Serial & I2C & SPI which are a combination, the hardware runs independently to send or receive 8 bits of data, then interrupts the software to either move the received data elsewhere or to prompt it to provide more data to send out.

ardly:
The guy who made that said he need a high processing speed and had to build his own board using a SH7125 CPU. I guess that a "MEGA" should be able to do the same though?

The Mega2560 has a single 8-bit AVR core clocked at 16MHz. It's got 4 serial ports, a lot of pins, 256K flash, 8K RAM but can directly address external RAM. But it's still got the power and speed of any other AVR.

Compare the ARM SAM M4F chip 180MHz 32-bit core that overclocks to 240MHz and has a floating point processor on chip.
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy36_pins.html
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html

Note the built-in micro-SD slots and warnings about 3.3V, never 5V or more?

You have procrastinated till WHEN? Tomorrow? LOL, I think if you learn to not put off it will be your most valuable lesson!

CrossRoads:
Mega can do multiple things at one time, but the things must be hardware specific things, like PWM with set & forget registers that run independently.
Every thing that is code dependent, that is true, only one thing can be done at a time from the user's point of view.
Then there things like Serial & I2C & SPI which are a combination, the hardware runs independently to send or receive 8 bits of data, then interrupts the software to either move the received data elsewhere or to prompt it to provide more data to send out.

True but with your 9x9x9 led cube you made sure that the pattern would change 30 times a second because that is too fast for human eyes to tell apart from actual motion.

Arduino board has no operating system by default, the setup() loop() system is what you make it with compiler optimization being more friend than enemy. At 16 million cycles, the RISC CPU rocks along fine even though faster would be nice.
But if blocky code is loaded on it, just figure that every millisecond of delay costs 16,000 cycles and that block may run as often as the rest of the sketch that only uses 500 cycles then has to wait 16,000 cycles to run again for no good reason, just crap code. Don't block and smooth as opposed to jerky automation becomes possible.

Here's a measure; how many stepper motor drivers can you run at once using floating point trig in changing speed calcs?
My answer of course is 1) use integers 2) table pre-calculated values and interpolate as needed; it takes 6 cycles to fetch an int from flash and not terribly many more to subtract one int from another then multiply by another and divide by another still, compared to running the whole calculation in floats any savings is big!

Back in the day we made 8 bit machines that crawled compared to AVR's look good. These things are a treat!

I think some people are taking this Thread too seriously :slight_smile:

It is the Bar Sport section !

...R

Robin2:
I think some people are taking this Thread too seriously :slight_smile:

But ... but ...it's URGENT!

There aren’t too many things that are really URGENT.

Thanks for nothing - deadline missed.

Nobody gave me a list of parts or how to wire them up or the code or anything, just obscene gifs. What are you Arduino people getting paid for!

How hard can it be to make one of these things. I found the humanoid robot doing the backflip by chance but I have been binging on robot videos over the weekend. As well as cycling robots there are robot fish, birds, butterflies, snakes and other animals. A company called Festo (what kind of name is that?) makes load of stuff. It must be really easy.

I wouldn't care if you paid me 100x as much in troll change. Go away and bring back a row of shrubs with a nice picket fence.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=512691.0
One MINUTE?

Pete

larryd:
There aren’t too many things that are really URGENT.

He's already nekid, in a bathroom - which no doubt has a floor drain somewhere. It ain't that urgent.

Go away and bring back a row of shrubs with a nice picket fence.

No deer where you live then? Shrubs are just deer fodder and a picket fence won't keep them out.

The backflip robot really was an eyeopener for me. I thought I had a reasonable feel for where technology was but once I saw that and looked at a few more vidieos I realised robotics is way, way more advanced than I had thought. They even had half a dozen tiny robots, with a mass of just a few grams, getting enough traction to pull a car.

@ardly

Did you find a solution for this? Can you share the codez, 3D print files, in fact all of your research and effort you put in (for free, naturally) and I'll replicate it and claim it as my own?

Cheers M8!