KEYPAD ISSUE.

Hello guys, im completely new to Arduino. I dont understand much in some of these posts but now i have one of my own about this 3x4 keypad i bought. Its not a matrix keypad but it uses 14 pins. I dont know how to connect this to arduino as this has too many pins. Any suggestions? If this is not where I should post this please remind me.

keypad_pin_diagram.png

OP's pic:

keypad_pin_diagram.png

The pic you posted is the exact same one shown here in the Playground where it tells you what to do.

It doesnt tell me the wiring though, and thats for a matrix keyboard

I'm confused: If that's not the pic of your keypad, why did you attach it?

The pic is for a matrix keyboard; it actually says there in the playground "you can safely ignore any unused keypad pins"

elvon_blunden:
I'm confused: If that's not the pic of your keypad, why did you attach it?

The pic is for a matrix keyboard; it actually says there in the playground "you can safely ignore any unused keypad pins"

Did you read the rest of it?:

Procedure

• Connect your Ohm meter leads to pins 1 and 2.
  • Press all the buttons until the meter indicates a closure.
  • Write down the pin numbers next to the column and row for the key you just found. Example: Your meter is connected to pins 1 and 5. When you pressed the number 7 your meter reacted. Write 1 under COL0 and 5 next to ROW2.
  • If the meter didn't react then move the meter lead from pin 2 to pin 3 and repeat steps 2 and 3 above.
  • Now, keep moving the lead to the next pin and repeat steps 2 and 3 for each pin.
  • Once you have reached the end move the first meter lead from pin 1 to pin 2 and repeat steps 2 and 3 while connecting the second meter lead to pins 3 through the highest pin.
  • Once you have completely identified all the pins on the diagram then you can safely ignore any unused keypad pins. You are now ready to wire the keypad to your Arduino.

Assuming you own an Ohm Meter -- and if you don't, you sould probably get one [comes with most MultiMeters]. You pretty much can't do electronics without, at least, a multimeter!

ReverseEMF:
Did you read the rest of it?:

That at me? I actually used that explanation to check the wiring on my matrix, which is how I recognised the OP's pic in the first place, and why I'm confused about the OP saying it's not for a matrix keypad.

ReverseEMF:
Assuming you own an Ohm Meter -

I think since the mid-60s or so yeah.

I think you ReverseEMF might have meant the previous to the OP but you started with a quote from me.