Which solderless breadboard?

Hi,

I have some breadboards and always the same problems, though I use DuPont jumping wires.
The quality of the contacts is very bad, and I can spend hours in checking those false contacts.

I have tried BB830 BB without any success.

My question is, is there a good reliable breadbord ?

Thank you very much
Frainck

While others may disagree I would say no, solderless bread boards are only suitable for the very simplest of test circuits. I avoid them at all cost and tend to solder everything using strip board.

Howdy,

strange enough – I use cheapest bread boards and jumper cables from Aliexpress and I have to say that I have very few issues with them if any and trust me when I say I'm doing massive breadboard wiring when I'm testing my circuit design.

I thought that Dupont jumper wires were superior to cheap round chines cables, but I'm starting to change my opinion – for massive breadboarding usually I have to squeeze many wires and Dupond cables being not solid core (bend C shape metal) just bends or even breaks if bent, but cheep chinies even if bent holds good connection and don't break off. Disadvantages of cheap round cables are that they are often (may be) a bit wider than bread board pitch, so they don't align properly and that round plastic part tends to fell off.
Also some types of cheap wires tends to beak where they meat plastic due to it being glued on with super glue.
But at that price cheap cables can be considered disposable...

and trust me when I say I'm doing massive breadboard wiring when I'm testing my circuit design.

I assume you are a beginner. I have been doing electronics for about 50 years and I quickly came to the conclusion that they are more trouble than they are worth. When your first fault finding action is to waggle the wires you know that is not time well spent.

The breadboard connectors will loose their grip over time, especially when a variety of different components are persuaded to be fitted on the board.

Well, I guess it depends.

I tend to value my time more than few new bradboards time to time. Also when soldered there is no quick way to change everything. I'm not saying that breadboarding is the best way, all I'm saying is that it works for me and util it will I'm not going to trade its advantages. Also I think discussion about soldering vs bradboarding is out of topic in this thread – as I understand author wanted to find a way to improve breadboarding, which I've tried to do by sharing my experience.

Also when soldered there is no quick way to change everything

I think you are using your strip board incorrectly if you think that.

as I understand author wanted to find a way to improve breadboarding,

Well no he said

To which my opinion is no. Yours might well be different, but giving the better option to a bread board is not out of topic for this thread especially when your answer is no.

“I use DuPont jumping wires.”

Many inexpensive Dupont jumper wires are not made properly.

Making your own is a skill I suggest you should learn.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=376971.0;attach=153794

Your just ignoring what I wrote before and just being a fan boy of "your way"...
You can use strip board as fast as you like – that's your preference, do whatever tickles your pickle. My preference is time so I use breadboard and my pickle is tickled as well.

My question is, is there a good reliable breadboard?

YES! I bought some made by CSC when I was a teenager, which makes it about 40 years old. Never had a problem with it.

I use DuPont jumping wires.

Pointless. I used solid core wire with stripped bare ends. Wire taken from telephone cable (that's the business I'm in). Make sure you get proper, copper cable, not CCA (copper coated aluminium) or worse, CCS (copper coated steel).

larryd:
Many inexpensive Dupont jumper wires are not made properly.

Including - as Perry mentions - not using "real wire"! :astonished:

Was I ever pissed off when I found you could not solder to it!

PerryBebbington:
I used solid core wire with stripped bare ends. Wire taken from telephone cable (that's the business I'm in)

Keep an eye out for major telecoms works - Chunks of old cable lying about or obtained on request.

Mind you, that's only old telecoms works. :grinning:

My experience has been that once a full size (ex, "0.1" pin header pin, but not machined pin header) pin has been pluged into a given hole, that hole is dead for any other type of pin.

Even solderless breadboard that hasn't been abused in that way can be reliable. IMO soldering is where it's at. Use solderable breadboard. Oh hey, guess what I happen to sell... 2x4" pieces of prototyping board

Mind you, that's only old telecoms works

Yeah, I don't think off cuts of optical fibre plugged into breadboard is going to work very well. (Waits for a question by one of our less intelligent noobs...)

PerryBebbington:
Waits for a question by one of our less intelligent noobs...

Why don't you enlighten them? :wink:

But this question has come up many times in the forum. @OP you really should use the forum search function.

My post #15 here is my recommendations: Good Quality Breadboards? - General Electronics - Arduino Forum

MarkT:
My post #15 here is my recommendations:

Seconded.