Arduino Turd Detector

Hi. I want to make with arduino so my toilet will automatically flush when full turd. HOW?

So you want to implement an "If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down." (IIYLIMIIBFID) protocol?

Yes.

That eliminates some of the obvious solutions since you can't use human presence/absence, seat pressure, or detection of any object entering the bowl area. I think the only option would be computer/machine vision . Probably should use color so you can differentiate turd from paper. Shouldn't require much resolution so it's still feasible to use an Arduino rather than a computer for the image processing however I know there is already a lot of existing CV resources so a raspberry pi might end up the easiest solution in the end. A Pi Zero with a USB webcam is pretty cheap.

Cameras in the toilet area are suspicious. Is there a sensor that can smell? If a turd falls in the water, will it make a sound? Maybe i can use a microphone tuned to its drop frequency.

I definitely agree there are privacy concerns. As long as you don't have it connected to the network, the camera only views the water, and images are not stored after processing, it really isn't a problem. Even so if you told someone "there's a camera inside the toilet!" they probably would not feel very comfortable.

I'm not aware of a sensor that would specifically detect the smell. There is the MQ-5 methane sensor but I've read some reports of people trying to use those for dirty diaper detectors without success.

The sound detection idea is promising but it will probably need some fairly advanced audio processing to reliably differentiate tinkles from the range of plops.

dT/dt

This is a sh*t subject for a Forum Thread.

...R

Yeah, Bar Sport is now a sh*thole forum section. Make Arduino Great Again!

i’m just trying to throw some stuff at a wall and see what sticks.... thinking outside the bowl, maybe a sensor on the toilet paper dispenser.

ps, i know we are talking turds, but we don’t got to bring trump into everything.

Qdeathstar:
maybe a sensor on the toilet paper dispenser.

That won't achieve IIYLIMIIBFID for the ladies.

Solid waste is denser than liquid waste. Place your toilet on an accurate scales and measure the difference in weight (when nobody is sitting on it). Don't complain to me if the plumbing leaks, though. :o :o

Qdeathstar:
Cameras in the toilet area are suspicious. Is there a sensor that can smell? If a turd falls in the water, will it make a sound? Maybe i can use a microphone tuned to its drop frequency.

OMG.. A new term "Drop frequency. "

:grinning:

Qdeathstar:
Hi. I want to make with arduino so my toilet will automatically flush when full turd. HOW?

Donald has a turd detector.
He uses it to find turdhole third world countries.
Maybe you can use his detector design.

larryd:

Donald has a turd detector.
He uses it to find turdhole third world countries.

Larry, I heard Donald uses a Grand Wizard for that... not sure i want one of those hanging about my toilet....

Henry_Best:
Solid waste is denser than liquid waste.

Have you never had a floater?

Qdeathstar:
Larry, I heard Donald uses a Grand Wizard for that... not sure i want one of those hanging about my toilet....

Donald does not like them hanging around for very long either - or is it that the wizards get wise to Donald?

...R

Have you never had a floater?

Could be embarrassing especially if you are on your first visit to a date's flat.
Don't be tempted to to wrap it up and throw it out the window though, particularly if it might get stuck.
If you ignore this advice and it does get stuck never ever try to squeeze out the window to get it back even if you are "gymnastic".
Ignore this advice and this could be you (p.s. apparently there was a second date despite the need to call the emergency services and have the window replaced);

stuck.jpg

I just remembered that the Irish author Flann O'Brien wrote a book called "De Turd Policeman" - I'm not sure about the spelling - but that's how it would be pronounced in many parts of Ireland.

...R