Jumper Cable Resistance

Hello, What is the resistance of a jumper wire cable. How many volts and ampers it can carry? I want to carry 12v 2a over a jumper cable, can i do it?

Resistance is controlled by the material of the wire, the cross section and the length and often the connectors on the ends. Just saying "a jumper wire cable" tells us none of those things. What sort of jumper wire and how long?

Steve

slipstick:
Resistance is controlled by the material of the wire, the cross section and the length and often the connectors on the ends. Just saying "a jumper wire cable" tells us none of those things. What sort of jumper wire and how long?

Steve

Male to male 1p-1p pin header, 10cm jumper wire. I dont have any idea what is the material.

Jumper cables are what I sometimes have to use to start my car - they easily carry many tens of amps.

Did you mean patch cable?

AWOL:
Jumper cables are what I sometimes have to use to start my car - they easily carry many tens of amps.

Did you mean patch cable?

I mean this cables... Can it carry 12v 2amps?

What is it plugged into?

The cable is OK for 2A but those connectors are only good for 1A if plugged into the normal cheap connectors and breadboards.

The alternative is to solder the connection.

2 amps? Fuggeaboutit. That wire is for logic level current. Think milliamps. You should be using at least 22 gauge wire for 2 amps.

That Chinese ribbon cable is approximately 1 ohm per foot. So a 100mm jumper will measure ~300 milliohms. At 2 amps, you’ll drop 0.6 volts just in the wire even with soldered connections. Use the proper diameter wire and solder or crimp all connections when dealing with current that is measured in amps. Fusing should also be considered, depending upon the circumstances. Current is heat and heat starts fires.

FWIW, 22 ga stranded is about .015 ohms per foot. A 100mm piece of stranded 22 gauge at 2 amps would have a voltage drop of approximately .01 volt.

cyilmaz10:
Hello, What is the resistance of a jumper wire cable. How many volts and ampers it can carry? I want to carry 12v 2a over a jumper cable, can i do it?

Typical cheap dupont connector hook-up wires might be expected to have an ohm or two of resistance
and carry at most 100mA reliably. They use extremely thin wire and are crimped and can
add significant contact resistance unless gold-plated. They are designed for signals and very low power only...

Single core 0.6mm or 0.7mm wire can be used for higher current hookups (though the lack of flexibility
can be an issue). Such wire will theoretically take the maximum current a Dupont connector can handle,
which is 2A I believe.

For reliable power wiring don't use jumper cables, use terminal blocks or JST or Molex or direct soldered.

So the answer in summary is that you are proposing to use all the wrong things - the "jumper" wire and the things to which you are connecting it.

Only when you explain exactly what you are doing, will you get useful advice on how to do it. Your problem is very common here and is called the "XY problem". :grinning: