LM317 voltage regulator R2 is getting very hot? why?

calvingloster:
Sorry I am abit slow I really do wish I was as clever as many of you people, please forgive me.

No worries, just slow down and try to understand the fundamentals like Ohm's Law. Not difficult at all and as ever, GIYF. It's also very important to read the datasheets of the devices in the circuit.

I got that idea from if you put a 240ohm resistor between output and adjust pin then u get a constant current source of 0.005A. So there is no way you can get more amps from using a 240ohm resistor. I am however confused why the LM317 does not act like a current limiter if you wire it up as a voltage regulator.

It doesn't act as a current limiter (well, except to protect itself when current exceeds its limits, or it gets too hot) because it's a voltage regulator. Which do you want? If you want both, then something other than a simple LM317 will be needed.

The main current to the load flows through the LM317 from its input terminal to its output terminal. The Adjust terminal works in conjunction with the resistors to set the desired output voltage. The currents involved in doing this are relatively small and have nothing really to do with the output current to the load. Does that help?