Control LED with bluetooth without App?

A question I thought Google would solve easily but I find no answers. Maybe because it is not doable?

I need to control a relay (lights on/off). I need people passing by being able to do this. People that cannot be expected to install apps to do this. I need to keep it simple.

I did it with WiFi and a captive portal and it works ok. I was thinking there might be a even simpler way to do it but don't know if it is doable. Knowledge/links would help..

My thinking:
The default way of controling relays thru bluetooth is thru installing an app on the phone. I need to control it without App to keep it simple. With headsets it seems possible? I just pair headsets and can control volume, read batterylevels etc (Or is volume settings actually not sent to the headset?...?)

I was thinking I could control the relay thru 'volumesettings' etc...?

Hope I am sufficiently clear..

You are not clear at all.

It seems to me that there are two general options. Either the visitor has a program on his/her phone that can send data to your Arduino.

OR the visitor can communicate with your Arduino without a phone. Perhaps because you have an IR beam that the visitor can pass her/his hand through. Or a button that s/he can press.

...R

Phones already have software in them built to work with the headset. Basically an app but not in the traditional sense. Unless you can convince Google to add support for your relay device at the OS level then you're going to need an app of some sort.

OK, thanks all. Seems like I have ti stick with wifi.

Mattzzz:
I need to control a relay (lights on/off). I need people passing by being able to do this. People that cannot be expected to install apps to do this. I need to keep it simple.

I assume you are making a joke: But jokes aside the area is high traffic/vandalism so it needs to be wireless and with a 'remote' that can not be left onsite. Hence the cell idea.

the area is high traffic/vandalism

How about this?

Grumpy_Mike:
How about this?

How about this?

Yes. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

The security light switches I've seen have a slot that need a 'key' which is just a two pronged piece of metal you stick in there. Basically a removable 'switch' portion.

Any device you cobble together, if it works at all, won't pass code to actually install in a 'high traffic' presumably commercial area. Unless you live in a country where they don't care about protecting human lives.

Capacitive sensors should be pretty vandal resistant. About as resistant as any piece of sheet metal bolted to a wall. Such a sensor doesn't even care much about a layer of graffiti over it.

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

There are no stupid questions sir, if someone asks a 'stupid' question it's basically because he doesn't understand it. If you want to blame him for that fine, but you could also help him out, that's why the forums are here :).

When someone claims to have used Google and got no answers, then they either live in N. Korea or they didn't try very hard before deciding to sit back and wait until other people feed them information.

Stupid questions at least make sense. When someone asks something that is so nonsensical that it precludes any sort of answer, it hardly even qualifies as a question in the first place.

akatchi:
but you could also help him out, that's why the forums are here :).

And that indeed is what I did. By showing him the right words to use to find a product that was safe to use and covered his needs.

I can not be held responsible for any sense of humor failure on your or the OP's behalf.

Grumpy_Mike:
a product that was safe to use and covered his needs.

Agreed. Lots of people coming by that somehow have to switch on the light...

OP's solution would require the following manual to be posted instead of a light switch:

"How to switch on the light:

• grab your phone,
  • open WiFi Manager,
  • connect to "lampswitch" network, password "lampswitch",
  • open your web browser,
  • wait for the page to load,
  • press the "switch on the light" button."

I wonder how the people are going to read this manual when the light is still off, or how long the manual is going to survive lots of frustrated vandals that just can't get the bloody light to switch on!

Our solution: a vandalism-proof physical switch. No manual needed. No special equipment from users needed (how to switch it on without phone? Or a phone that's out of battery? Or if you don't know how to get your phone to connect to a specific network?).

Simplicity often beats everything else.

Grumpy_Mike:
I can not be held responsible for any sense of humor failure on your or the OP's behalf.

It's just what you call humor.

akatchi:
It's just what you call humor.

OK so you admit I was actually helping him then? You just don't like my method of delivery? I see that more of your problem than mine.

It is a massive assumption that every one carries a smart mobile phone around, I am sure any judge would agree as he is sued for causing an injury to an old person who could not see in the dark because they couldn't turn on the light.