Multiple Arduino on a machine

if you are writing a program for windows then C# already has a .net library for serial communication. it's actually rather simple. with basic commands just like arduino's library. by default a windows machine is going to assign a string name to each arduino. should be "COM1","COM2","COM3".. and so on. C# should easily be able to page through each string name and see if there is a connection that exists for that name.

To distiguish the difference between the arduinos. you would need to have the arduino tell the pc which one it is through the serial connection after it is established.

taterking:
if you are writing a program for windows then C# already has a .net library for serial communication. it's actually rather simple. with basic commands just like arduino's library. by default a windows machine is going to assign a string name to each arduino. should be "COM1","COM2","COM3".. and so on. C# should easily be able to page through each string name and see if there is a connection that exists for that name.

To distiguish the difference between the arduinos. you would need to have the arduino tell the pc which one it is through the serial connection after it is established.

Let me try this one. Thanks

How many card readers can one Arduino board support? Do you ~need~ a usb hub?

You could code it so that whatever reader has a card reads the card and signals having data ready to the rest of the sketch by setting a flag variable. Some code sees the flag and sends the PIN#. If more than one card is swiped, call it an error.

prash_21:
So whenever our test website needs authentication, the arduino intercepts the request and inputs the pin or password (usually a 6 digit number) of the card to authenticate.

How can we be sure this is not a project that is trying to do something illegal?

And multiple Arduinos are being considered to speed up the trials of different combinations in order to find the one that gives access to someone's bank account?

...R

The Arduinos do not know about the PIN. They sent to the PC what has been entered, the check occurs on the PC.

Robin2:
How can we be sure this is not a project that is trying to do something illegal?

And multiple Arduinos are being considered to speed up the trials of different combinations in order to find the one that gives access to someone's bank account?

...R

hi Robin,

This is not any credit card or debit card reader that we are talking about. Apologies for not making it clear earlier. The cards install a certificate on our machine which is then used to authenticate a user to log in on the website. And requirement is that we sometimes need two levels of authorization which means two separate users need to login and authorize and as we currently have only one arduino setup for a single card we are unable to automate those scenarios.

So the objective is to connect two arduinos to two ports on a USB Hub and depending on which user logs in the respective card reader is triggered and the arduino inputs the default pin to simulate two users login.

I still don’t understand why you need multiple arduinos for that. Or multiple card readers. Just seems wasteful.

Delta_G:
I still don’t understand why you need multiple arduinos for that. Or multiple card readers. Just seems wasteful.

+1

@prash_21
Why not one arduino plus one reader. Tap first card, send data to PC. Tap second card, send data to PC.

sterretje:
+1

@prash_21
Why not one arduino plus one reader. Tap first card, send data to PC. Tap second card, send data to PC.

Hi Shannon,

I am a part of the Test Automation Team where we execute multiple test cases throughout the day without any manual intervention.

In order to test the scenario where there are multiple users we need two arduinos connected to the machine and each one will play its part i.e. A "Maker" with less rights can create a request and a "Checker" will check and authorize it. All this should happen without any manual intervention.
To be precise not manually inserting the card in the card reader and then validating it arduino would automatically input the pin for us.

I still don't understand why you think that requires multiple card readers. Are they physically very far apart? Like in different buildings or something?

A hotel has a card reader on each door, perhaps also each machine or station in the fabric has its own card reader?

DrDiettrich:
A hotel has a card reader on each door, perhaps also each machine or station in the fabric has its own card reader?

That's so you can't go into your best friend's wife's room by accident :slight_smile:

We still have not been given a clear and simple explanation of what the OP is trying to do. Does he know himself?

...R

I am trying to follow this, but it is rather elusive.

say, a building has an entry door and a security guard.
the person comes up to the building, swipes their card.
the security guard leaves their desk goes outside an then authorizes entry by swiping their authorization card on the same reader.

Is there some way that the security guard could authorize this without exiting the building ?

dave-in-nj:
I am trying to follow this, but it is rather elusive.

say, a building has an entry door and a security guard.
the person comes up to the building, swipes their card.
the security guard leaves their desk goes outside an then authorizes entry by swiping their authorization card on the same reader.

Is there some way that the security guard could authorize this without exiting the building ?

What has any of that to do with what the OP is asking? He's talking about multiple people being able to swipe into the same computer from the same place. There's no reason that they can't use the same card reader.

It's clear to me that the second card reader is behind a freaking barrier (window/door/wall), not within reach of the first.

Wherever this is, this is how they want it to work. If it doesn't fit your ideas then maybe it's outside of your experience which does not make it wrong just different to what you know.

GoForSmoke:
Wherever this is, this is how they want it to work. If it doesn't fit your ideas then maybe it's outside of your experience which does not make it wrong just different to what you know.

You're absolutely right. I just wonder why the OP can't just say as much. Thing is, sometimes they need two readers because there's a barrier. Sometimes it is because the example code they copied only compared against one card and they can't figure how they'd ever use it to read more than one. I mean how many times do we see the thread about how to read something back from the serial monitor because that's where the example code for the sensor sent it. Sometimes the why do you want to do that is important. And if it isn't then it certainly isn't any skin off a poster's back to enlighten us.

Possibly the OP can better explain in the OP's native language. That wasn't American Millennial in the first post, too many words were not 1337-spelled.

GoForSmoke:
Possibly the OP can better explain in the OP's native language. That wasn't American Millennial in the first post, too many words were not 1337-spelled.

it is a shame, we just love to play the pronoun with adjectives game.
I wonder if there is some point in one's life when they become enlightened and learn to ask proper question and to think rationally.
In my humble view, any post that selects parts before stating a goal, has one foot solidly in an X/Y Problem.
It would seem that thinking the problem through once requires experience. and experience comes with failure.
like the old chicken and the egg delima.
... and to run a bit off... there was a Halloween party at the college frat house. a young lad was dressed as a chicken.
and a young lass was costumed as an egg. they laughed and hung out for a bit, then they hooked up...
and well, there were able to answer that age old quandary.

dave-in-nj:
say, a building has an entry door and a security guard. .....

The problem I have with your suggestion is that it is so straightforward and the OP has not described his problem in such simple terms that I suspect the OP is trying to do something very strange or very secret.

And if it is very secret then it makes me wonder is it something we should be helping with.

...R