help using the flash.h library and functions

AWOL:

char extract[] = {0}; //this should work for any length of message I pass to it, right?

No. Pretty dangerous.

You know how long the FLASH_STRING is, so why not use that length?

...but they are all different lengths. ...my flash strings are anywhere from a couple words, to a few sentences.
Maybe I'm not making myself clear, let me explain again: My code has lots a text it sends to the LCD, which needs to be send 1 char at a time, with a little delay between each char, making a nice user experience with the LCD.
These messages can be anything from "Settings saved", to "a very long 3 sentence description of some function or other"

I was hoping to be able to save all this text in Flash, and have 1 function like the sendMessage function I made, so that anytime in my code I can just say sendMessage 'whatever the message is'.

Is my send message function the way to go, or is there a better way to do this? This is my whole sendMessage() function:

void sendMessage(char myMessage[]) {

i = 0;  //reset display character counter
    LCDclear();
    while(1) {  //loop 
        if(millis() - prevLCDtime > 100 ) {  //continue every 10 ms
            prevLCDtime = millis();        //update the time counter
            Serial.print(myMessage[i]);    //print the next letter to the display
            i = i + 1; //increase counter
            if (i == strlen(myMessage)) break;  //when the counter i gets to the end of the message, break
        }
    }
    delay(1000);  //time to read the last line
    LCDclear();
    cups = 0;  //reset the cups counter
    prevKeypress = millis();  //reset last keypress time
    Serial.flush();  //clear any keypresses during this message
}