" Introductory tutorials " topic

The Introductory tutorials topic is a good idea, but has already become so "chatty" that it has lost value.

I suggest that the "Introductory tutorials" topic be set "read only", and the only way for topics to appear there is if a moderate MOVES a post from a more specific topic, AFTER it has been discussed, edited, and a final form more-or-less agreed upon. The "final form" would then get split tagged with a link to the discussion, and then moved to the tutorial topic. (can moderators split discussions here? I've seen it happen in other fora...)

I agree 100%

And I think the person who writes the tutorial should take responsibility for producing the edited version and links to the longer discussion version.

...R

Got my vote...And suggest it still needs to go lower in ranking too as its clearly still getting a lot of hits from noobs

+1 from me

And in answer to splitting topics and so on, the answer is YES they can be split and merged etc.

ballscrewbob:
And in answer to splitting topics and so on, the answer is YES they can be split and merged etc.

Yeah they do it all the time for hijacks.

I like the idea of having the tutorial in prinstine shape on the forum in read only and have it link to a discussion thread on the forum.

If a locked thread needs to be updated by the writer, can this be done?

Edit
How does a tutorial make the cut?

I am still in shock and awe at R2 with "agree 100%" :wink:

larryd:
If a locked thread needs to be updated by the writer, can this be done?

Yes. I have done this a few times. A simple request to the Moderator to unlock it followed by a request to re-lock it when the changes are done.

...R

Robin2:
Yes. I have done this a few times. A simple request to the Moderator to unlock it followed by a request to re-lock it when the changes are done.

...R

That seems like it would work.

the only way for topics to appear there is if a moderate MOVES a post from a more specific topic, AFTER it has been discussed, edited, and a final form more-or-less agreed upon.

As far as meeting an implied quality, we should take care.
A volunteer puts time and effort into making a tutorial then 'the powers that be' says this doesn’t meet our acceptable level.
What would this say about the forum's welcoming atmosphere?

I think that care needs to be taken so people are not put off contributing.
The forum title is after all "Introductory tutorials".

I do agree that general discussion (chattyness) should be kept out of the presentation, surely we can police ourselves. (maybe not :frowning: )
Clarification questions should be okay and welcomed.

Edit
Just thinking out loud now . . .
How about leaving contributions to the forum open.
When it becomes obvious that comments to the thread are getting off topic, a moderator moves the thread to a different forum.
The author is invited to create a cleaned up version of the tutorial, which she/he adds back to the tutorial forum where it is locked.

larryd:
As far as meeting an implied quality, we should take care.
A volunteer puts time and effort into making a tutorial then 'the powers that be' says this doesn’t meet our acceptable level.

IMHO if a Thread is started somewhere with the ultimate intention of being a tutorial and if there is discussion about it then it should become clear, without offending anyone, whether it meets with general approval.

And, keeping in mind the Title of the section is "Introductory Tutorials" I think there should be firm limit on the number of them. On my screen an Index page shows 20 topics. That is probably enough if the intention is to put the most important things before a beginner.

We need to find some means to involve the Moderators as a group in this discussion if any of this is to be implemented

...R

IMHO if a Thread is started somewhere with the ultimate intention of being a tutorial and if there is discussion about it then it should become clear, without offending anyone, whether it meets with general approval.

I guess having "Tutorial" in the title would be showing intention.

As far a offending anyone, I have a thick skin and am not put off from ‘constructive’ criticism.
It would be hoped that at our age, most here would be the same, however civility can still be shown.
That being said, most here can filter things quit well by reading the first paragraph in a posting.
When you look at a new tutorial, it is evident within a few seconds if it is interesting or if you should skip over it.

IMO, limiting tutorial count can lead to being too artificial and subjective.

As far as the moderators go, they are busy enough to be 'tutorial police'.

Edit
If a topic cannot be presented within 200-300 words you need to edit things.
Besides, any more words than that you tend to lose most readers.

larryd:
IMO, limiting tutorial count can lead to being too artificial and subjective.

IMHO if there is no limit the notion of something that is useful for newbies is completely lost. Giving someone 1000 things to read is no more useful than giving him nothing. The fewer the better. And it also puts pressure on decision makers to figure out what is really important for a newbie.

As far as the moderators go, they are busy enough to be 'tutorial police'.

I am not suggesting that they take on the role of formally vetting every proposed tutorial, but they MUST be involved because it is only they who can lock, unlock or move Threads. And if they are not all using the same hymn-sheet the whole thing will be just as big a mess as it is now.

If this really would be too much extra work for the Moderators then we should just drop the idea altogether.

...R

Think the initial extra work that might happen will tail off once things become established.

Anything new is bound to have some start up glitches.

Giving someone 1000 things to read is no more useful than giving him nothing.

They won’t even read a portion of the the 20.

Heck 99% want immediate satisfaction never be heard from again, until they need something.

Most won't/don’t read an article when it was put in front of them.

Those that want to learn, are self starters anyway and know about Google.

Not in 100% agreement Larry...

There are those that will go to an all you can eat buffet and not take much and those that would gorge at every option and then there are the ones who pick out things they specifically want to try.

Nothing wrong with a varied menu in this instance but I do see what you are saying and YES a larger majority want a quick McYucks from the drive thru.

Even the "googlers" would look at a gourmet menu if it had something to interest them.

larryd:
They won’t even read a portion of the the 20.

Heck 99% want immediate satisfaction never be heard from again, until they need something.

That is certainly not a justification for having a limitless number of tutorials.

If there are 5 or 10 (or 20, at a stretch) it is reasonable to complain if a newbie does not at least open the section and read the titles.

Or are you saying that you think the whole idea of introductory tutorials is a waste of time and effort? That could be a perfectly valid point of view.

...R

Or are you saying that you think the whole idea of introductory tutorials is a waste of time and effort?

More like frustration.

I like very much like the idea of having the new forum, just as I like stickies that have important links in one place.
However it does seem that these tools are sometimes appreciated more by the helpers than by the helped.

If I/we believed it was a waste of time we wouldn't be volunteers here.
You obviously get something from your many contributions to the forums.
I have always tried to help with improving others learning (including my own).
I probably get more more than I give.
Waste of time, no, otherwise I would not be here.

Having things in one spot is a good thing.
Limiting things to a number is a problem.