pot 3590s-2-103l 10k shows 1023 constant on anlogRead

I'm trying to use the 10 rotation pot(3590s-2-103L) as a feedback to the dc motor for position control. But when I analog-Read the pot, it shows 1023 always even on turning the knob.

pin configs: end pins to 5 V and ground and the middle pin to analog input A0.

I'm using this pot only because it can rotate through 360 degrees which a normal pot won't do.

I also tried cheap rotary encoder but it had only 20 counts per revolution.

1.Can I use this pot? What changes I need to do to get the reading on the range of 0 -1023?

2.or should I go with the one mentioned here :

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .
Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Do you have a DMM?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I connected it as conventional pots.

Check the pot wiring schematic on the data sheet. (page 2 lower left)

multi pot.jpg

multi pot.jpg

Hi,

See the problem?
Pin 2 is the wiper of the pot, so it must go to A0, as it will have the varying voltage on it.

Do you have a DMM?
Check the resistance between 1 and 3, to check that you have not burnt the pot out.
It should be 10k.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I burned the pot :smiley: , I tried with the new one , it is working fine. Shop keeper told me its a normal connection and I thought all pots are the same and that's my mistake.

mano_v:
Thank you! I burned the pot :smiley: , I tried with the new one , it is working fine. Shop keeper told me its a normal connection and I thought all pots are the same and that's my mistake.

For this form factor of multi-turn panel potentiometers this is the normal layout, the wiper being the back terminal for easy internal construction.

Take your burnt pot apart and have a look.
Also if you look on the pot body you will see the terminal layout with a schematic.

Tom... :slight_smile:
PS, Keep the mounting nut, sometime in the future you WILL need it, when a pot is delivered with nut missing... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: