Punctuation Marks and Etc. of the English Language

AWOL:
sp. "its capabilities"

I always get confused by its v it's , you are correct;
The word it’s is always short for ‘it is’ (as in it's raining), or in informal speech, for ‘it has’ (as in it's got six legs).
The word its means ‘belonging to it’ (as in hold its head still while I jump on its back). It is a possessive pronoun like his.

ardly:
I thought the the original was clear. The best projects use a single microprocessor and it's (the microprocessor) capabilities are enhanced by external chips.

AWOL:
sp. "its capabilities"

Knowing that it's is a contraction for 'it is or it has' and its is a 'possessive case', the original sentence may take the following form

"The best projects often use a microcontroller with external chips to enhance and complement its (microcontroller) capabilities."

ardly:
I always get confused by its v it's , you are correct;

In typical English fashion it behaves exactly opposite to the usual way to create possessive nouns which are normally denoted by a single quote as in the man's shoes

...R

GolamMostafa:
Knowing that it's is a contraction for 'it is or it has' and its is a 'possessive case', the original sentence may take the following form

"The best projects often use a microcontroller with external chips to enhance and complement its (microcontroller) capabilities."

Yes, that is the way I understood the original.
Because 'projects' is plural and 'micronctroller' is singular there is no ambiguity that "its capabilities" means the microcontrollers capapbilities.
If both are plural you get;
"The best projects often use microcontrollers with external chips to enhance and complement their capabilities."
Which could be read as
"The best projects often use microcontrollers (with external chips) to enhance and complement their capabilities." or
"The best projects often use microcontrollers (with external chips to enhance and complement their capabilities)."
if that makes sense.

ardly:
Which could be read as
"The best projects often use microcontrollers (with external chips) to enhance and complement their capabilities." or
"The best projects often use microcontrollers (with external chips to enhance and complement their capabilities)."

Both of those versions are technically correct :slight_smile:

...R

larryd:
Chips enhance micro-controllers.

Robin2:
Not like that

Like this

...R

We call those fries. If it's to enhance micros, it's called ... fries electronics.

If you're into this sort of thing - Eats, Shoots & Leaves

Robin2:
In typical English fashion it behaves exactly opposite to the usual way to create possessive nouns which are normally denoted by a single quote as in the man's shoes

...R

There are lots of rules like 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' , but not much science.

ardly:
There are lots of rules like 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' , but not much science.

Fiesty!

English spelling rules are weird..

ardly:

Neat.

I think you will discover that the I before E rule only applies when the sound is an eee

...R

ardly:

Was the word 'science' formed based on the stated rules? If not, why are we so aware about the syntactical and semantic rules (the rules that we have deduced from the language itself) of the Language?

GolamMostafa:
Was the word 'science' formed based on the stated rules?

I doubt if any word was formed based on rules - the rules came after.

If not, why are we so aware about the syntactical and semantic rules

I suspect the vast majority of the population is not so aware.

...R

“There are lots of rules like 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' , but not much science.”

or words that have gh

Oh there are so many rules. :frowning:

larryd:
or words that have gh

Give a man a ghoti . . .

Robin2:
Neat.

I think you will discover that the I before E rule only applies when the sound is an eee

...R

Ah, that is another layer to the rule (it is a bit like the rule for leap years).
The basic rule is "i before e" so "Science" should be spelled "Science".
However; the "except after c" part means it should be spelled "Sceince".
However; because the sound is not "eee" it should be spelled "Science"!
Of course it is not that simple :slight_smile:

There are words like "height" and "weight" where there is no 'c' but 'i' does not come before 'e'.

I had a go at some pseudo code, but I think the rule is that there is no rule;

if following 'c'
{
	if sound is not 'eee'
	{
		"i before e"  // e.g. science - shot down by ?
	}
	else
	{
		"e before i" // e.g. fluorescein - but shot down by specie
	}
}
else
{
	if sound is not 'eee'
	{
		"e before i" // e.g. height - but shot down by identifier
	}
	else
	{
		"i before e" // e.g. field - but shot down by seize
	}
}

The next time that someone makes such a claim politely ask them to provide mathematical proof that the source is very inefficient then sit back and enjoy the show as they trip over their own tongue from their linguistic gymnastics.

The above sentence is found in some other Section of this Forum. In this sentence, 'someone' is singular noun; but, the corresponding pronoun 'them (they/their)' is plural which has apparently (to me as a non-native) broken the noun-pronoun agreement rule. Is it acceptable in the English Language? If so, how/why?

GolamMostafa:
Is it acceptable in the English Language? If so, how/why?

For me, not a grammarian, yes, it is acceptable. Someone may be singular but it's still vague, as in you aren't given a gender. If the only possible respondents were male you could say, "If someone calls tell him I'm out." However the gender isn't known so, what is left? You could say "Tell that person..." or "Tell whomever calls..." but those are awkward. A nice example or two.

GolamMostafa:
Is it acceptable in the English Language?

From the online Oxford dictionary...

them:
1.2 {singular} Referring to a person of unspecified sex.

...which fits perfectly with the usage.

I do, however, tend to write grammatically challenging prose so your confusion is certainly justified.

Hi,
The rule plus ALL the exceptions..

Tom... :slight_smile: