i2c Address code for Arduino display..

cattledog:
If in the IDE window you select File>Preferences, what does it show for the location of the sketchbook, and what does it show for the location of the preferences.txt file? after "More preferences can be edited directly in the file" at the bottom of the window?

Please post the sketch you are using, and where did the libraries you are using come form?

save location preference is on the e drive, under documents/arduino. I have set it to that. The sketch that i am using is the distance sensor sketch using a HP-SR04 sonar sensor,

Should there be a preference txt file in the preference folder? Because if there is suppose to be, there aint one.

The sketch that i am using is the distance sensor sketch using a HP-SR04 sonar sensor,

I thought we were working on an i2c lcd and trying to work out the constructor so as to see "Hello World".

If you haven't worked through the library issues on the display, do not be adding any other code.

The lcd display library you are using should have some simple example code. Try run that.

If there are problems, post the code and error messages.

cattledog:
I thought we were working on an i2c lcd and trying to work out the constructor so as to see "Hello World".

If you haven't worked through the library issues on the display, do not be adding any other code.

The lcd display library you are using should have some simple example code. Try run that.

If there are problems, post the code and error messages.

i have played around with some of the code-ing in the examples

im trying to make a disatnce sensor. the prblem is, that the program now, will not upload because..
Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Users\130012\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_NewPing_v1.7.zip\NewPing\examples\NewPingExample\NewPingExample.pde:5:21: fatal error: NewPing.h: No such file or directory

#include <NewPing.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Anthropous:
im trying to make a disatnce sensor. the prblem is, that the program now, will not upload because..

C:\Users\130012\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_NewPing_v1.7.zip\NewPing\examples\NewPingExample\NewPingExample.pde:5:21: fatal error: NewPing.h: No such file or directory

#include <NewPing.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

You need to install the library by unpacking that .zip file, and moving the NewPing folder inside to the libraries folder in your sketchbook.

DrAzzy:
You need to install the library by unpacking that .zip file, and moving the NewPing folder inside to the libraries folder in your sketchbook.

now its going back to invalid library.

Invalid library found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:

Anthropous:
now its going back to invalid library.

Invalid library found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:

New Code! Forgot to mention, got the display working however now this occurs, there is such a file thats the annoying thing!!

C:\Users\130012\Downloads\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor.ino:34:17: fatal error: LCD.h: No such file or directory

#include <LCD.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

I am going to recommend that you only have the IDE and the sketchbook/user libraries on one drive.

I'd start with a clean installation only one drive, and eliminate Arduino files on the other. I still don't understand what is the E drive and what is the C drive, and why you felt the need to migrate from the C drive.

cattledog:
I am going to recommend that you only have the IDE and the sketchbook/user libraries on one drive.

I'd start with a clean installation only one drive, and eliminate Arduino files on the other. I still don't understand what is the E drive and what is the C drive, and why you felt the need to migrate from the C drive.

ok, my computer is a ""baby computer"" its slow, its faster to have all my docs/movies/programs, on the e drive (portable harddrive) (c is computer storage) i have installed arduino in E:/Compy/Programx86/Arduino

i am also saving sketches on the E: drive in the documents. I ahve recently downloaded a distance and sensor sketch that uses a HP-SR04 sonar sensor and puts the distance of an object on the LCD display. The code was downloaded from this website; http://www.instructables.com/id/Connecting-an-LCD-Screen-and-an-Ultrasonic-Distanc/ ie step 5.

as i go to upload the file, it comes up with errors.

((I chose arduino because the coding is all on the net, i cannot write code very well.))

OK. You should be able to work from E. I'd eliminate the Arduino files on the C drive. The last error code had the IDE looking on the C drive for something that wasn't there.

The instructables code is set up to use the F Malpartida liquid crystal library. Did you download and install that? What did you do with the liquid crystal library which came with the IDE?

cattledog:
OK. You should be able to work from E. I'd eliminate the Arduino files on the C drive. The last error code had the IDE looking on the C drive for something that wasn't there.

why is that? how do i stop it from making folders on the C: drive??

I think that when you download files from the net, they go to the users download file on the C drive. I don't know if you can tell Windows to download to the E drive.

There are different ways of getting the library unzipped, if necessary, and installed in the library folder. You can use the library manager in the IDE or you can do it manually. What have you been doing?

I don't know how the library manger of the IDE handles the transfer from the C drive download to the E drive folder location. There maybe some source and destination information to pay attention to.

Given that you are trying to run the IDE from E: you probably need to begin paying close attention to where things are download, where zip files are unzipped, and how things get into the E: library locations.

cattledog:
I think that when you download files from the net, they go to the users download file on the C drive. I don't know if you can tell Windows to download to the E drive.

There are different ways of getting the library unzipped, if necessary, and installed in the library folder. You can use the library manager in the IDE or you can do it manually. What have you been doing?

I don't know how the library manger of the IDE handles the transfer from the C drive download to the E drive folder location. There maybe some source and destination information to pay attention to.

Given that you are trying to run the IDE from E: you probably need to begin paying close attention to where things are download, where zip files are unzipped, and how things get into the E: library locations.

i have been downloading individual files and saving them in documents, if they have the examples, i save them as a library in the arduino library folder...

cattledog:

well, unistalled likr you said, and reinstalled and now the arduino program crashes, as can be seen in the taskmgr. comes up then disappears. what should i do?

For now, I guess you could install and run from C: without using E: like a standard installation.

Then, I recommend that you make a new post your problem in the Forum section "INSTALLATION & TROUBLESHOOTING" about installing on and running from an external drive with ongoing problems related to the IDE looking for things on C:

You did not answer my question about the F.Malpartida new liquid crystal library required for your instructables sketch. The file it was looking for LCD.h is a part of that library. The sketch actually does not need to have a #include <LCD.h> when using #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

cattledog:
For now, I guess you could install and run from C: without using E: like a standard installation.

Then, I recommend that you make a new post your problem in the Forum section "INSTALLATION & TROUBLESHOOTING" about installing on and running from an external drive with ongoing problems related to the IDE looking for things on C:

You did not answer my question about the F.Malpartida new liquid crystal library required for your instructables sketch. The file it was looking for LCD.h is a part of that library. The sketch actually does not need to have a #include <LCD.h> when using #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

should i remove the #include <LCD.h>?

cattledog:

((School Computer)) I'm so CLOSE!!!

LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:50: error: 'LiquidCrystal_I2C' does not name a type

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(I2C_ADDR,En_pin,Rw_pin,Rs_pin,D4_pin,D5_pin,D6_pin,D7_pin);

^

\rangiorahigh.school.nz\shares\Student\130012\Docs\Arduino\libraries\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor.ino: In function 'void setup()':

LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:60: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope

lcd.begin (20,4); //Size of LCD

^

LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:63: error: 'POSITIVE' was not declared in this scope

lcd.setBacklightPin(BACKLIGHT_PIN,POSITIVE);

^

\rangiorahigh.school.nz\shares\Student\130012\Docs\Arduino\libraries\libraries\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor\LCD_display_and_distance_sensor.ino: In function 'void loop()':

LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:78: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope

lcd.clear();

^

Multiple libraries were found for "NewPing.h"
Used: \rangiorahigh.school.nz\shares\student\130012\Docs\Arduino\libraries\libraries\NewPing
Not used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\NewPing
exit status 1
'LiquidCrystal_I2C' does not name a type

I would remove it as, but if the F. Malpartida library is correctly installed, it does not matter if it is there or not with the i2c lcd.

If you look in the library examples for the HelloWorld_i2c is is not used. The following should be all you need.

#include <Wire.h> 
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
LCD_display_and_distance_sensor:50: error: 'LiquidCrystal_I2C' does not name a type

LiquidCrystal_I2C    lcd(I2C_ADDR,En_pin,Rw_pin,Rs_pin,D4_pin,D5_pin,D6_pin,D7_pin);

This indicates that the F.Malpartida library is not installed properly.

cattledog:
I would remove it as, but if the F. Malpartida library is correctly installed, it does not matter if it is there or not with the i2c lcd.

If you look in the library examples for the HelloWorld_i2c is is not used. The following should be all you need.

#include <Wire.h> 

#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

once i have removed that the next error is that liquidcrystal does not exist, i belive this is because i have not installed that library.. (( this is on the school computers as arduino does not work currently on my computer ))