Guitar aid for a disabled person

I have been asked to help design an aid that would allow someone with one hand to play a guitar. This particular person will probably need to have a foot pedal controlling a device for what would be the 'strumming' hand.

The only thing I have found that could be modified/controlled using some electronics is at http://www.thehammerjammer.com/index.html
Ben Heck also did a 2 part video for an electromechanical device Ben Builds a One-Handed Guitar - YouTube, but his is a bit invasive on the guitar!

Other devices that allows chords to be played:

but these are at the 'wrong end' of the guitar.

Any ideas? Looking for concepts or prior projects at this stage rather than detailed technical discussion of possible implementation.

A realistic device would implement kind of an electric piano, with one hammer for each string. Then single strings can be activated, or all in sequence with up and down strokes in reversed sequence. More stroke types can be programmed, like with electronic rhythm devices, which then can be synchronized from the foot pedal or other sensors.

As I understand it, not being a guitar player, there is a difference in sound between a strike and a pluck of the string. The Hammer Jammer device is a striker device as you describe.

If there is adept finger control and strength, strumming is unnecessary with the tapping style if playing. Percussive tapping on the frets with sensitive pickups is all that's needed.

Maybe just using a servo for each string with the servo arms acting like fingers. Maybe making your own designed "fingers" can get the sound close to that of a real finger pluck?
As far as strum...a similar device that just runs an arm over all strings. Timing may be too much of an issue to use all 6 servos to replicate a strum like sound where there is a small delay between each string strike.

Hi,
I have somewhere seen a musical instrument that has a handle at one end, it turns a wheel that has brushes on half of its circumference.
When the handle turns, the wheel strums the brushes over the strings, faster you turn the faster the strum, the player then uses his other hand to finger the strings.

Tom... :slight_smile:
I shall go searching.

Hi
BINGO.. its called a Ghironda.

Hope the principal helps.... Tom... :slight_smile:

The above device looks rather like the ancient 'hurdy gurdy' !

and it seems as if it probably works in a similar way.

Harpsichord's use a plucking action - perhaps you could have a look at their mechanism and get a hint..

regards

Allan

Hi,

allanhurst:
The above device looks rather like the ancient 'hurdy gurdy' !

and it seems as if it probably works in a similar way.

Harpsichord's use a plucking action - perhaps you could have a look at their mechanism and get a hint..

regards

Allan

Yes... That is the name I was thinking of, thank-you, now I can go to bed not thinking about it.
Tom.. nighty night... :sleeping:

Great ideas so far, thanks all.

The harpsichord mechanism for plucking looks straightforward for a solenoid push/pull implementation.