Arduino PS/2 Mouse controlled RC car

Hi folks,

I just completed a really fun Arduino Beginners course in London at the weekend (taught by @tinkernick).

I thought you might like to see my first project, which is a PS/2 Mouse controlled RC car - I wrote a HOWTO at http://www.davidsingleton.org/arduino-ps2-mouse-controlled-rc-car.

Let me know what you think! I'd also like to know how people usually share their projects for others to build later?

David

i think it's great... not the most impressive project that I've seen but it is great

Good first project! I like it cause my first Arduino 'project' is to control two DC motors with a PS/2 mouse too.
Why are there 3 different files (one .txt and two .zip files) you can download on the Arduino homepage about PS/2 interfacing? If I only want to read the data from the mouse I only need the first .zip right? I haven't tried much yet but I am just wondering.

Is there a way to use processing instead of connecting mouse to the arduino. Im wanting to use the follow sketch in processing and have arduino IDE read it. Or would it be just as easy to run the rc directly from processing?

Is there a way to use processing instead of connecting mouse to the arduino. Im wanting to use the follow sketch in processing and have arduino IDE read it.

Yes. It is possible. The mouse position can be send via USB port in Processing using a transimiter, the Ardiuno will received the data and do "the robot thing" XD

I've been working on it got a lot of interference. I'm using a wireless mouse. Would it have less static with a ps/2 mouse?

If it is wireless your are using, a ps/2 will make no difference if it is also wireless in my opinion. My idea is a direct way ( wire up ) to the computer using a mouse ( USB / PS/2 ) and use a wireless tx/rx like a bluetooth or something else ( USB -TTL board connect to a tx/rx device ). Interference is still a possibility with ANY wireless devices.

Yea very true. Was trying to avoid extra spending just using the factory parts too see what possibilities there were.