Windows/Linux/Mac Eclipse plugin to compile and upload arduino sketches

Great
Thanks for the update.
jantje

I'm just coming back to some Arduino development, but since last I time I've moved from using an old ubuntu linux to a new mint 15.

I've installed Juno from the eclipse web site as Mint15 ships with "eclipse 3.8" and I wasn't sure it that was an "I" or "J" version.

Anyway I've installed the 1.5.2 beta aduino tools, and the latest version of your plug-in.

Some of my existing project have some assembly code functions in ".S" files. These used to be automatically assembled and linked, but with the new tools they don't get built.

Is this the expected behavior and if so can it be changed to include them in the build ? BTW they do show up correctly in the project explorer.

PeterO

Peter
Nice to hear it works on Mint;-)
As you probably noticed V2 beta of my plugin is a complete rewrite. And I indeed removed the assembly thinking who needs that (I assumed that inline assembly would be used).
If you want V2 Beta to compile assembly you could try to add a assembly instruction to the toolchain for your project.
If your assembly is in the project (in other: "not a library") it may turn out to be easy (I have never done it)
Keep us posted on progress.
Best regards
Jantje

Thanks for quick reply !

I'm not sure which of the tools I should be adding to the tool chain. There doesn't seem to be an "Arduino assembler" option equivalent to the "Arduino C Compiler" option.

PeterO

I've tried adding the "Cross GCC Assembler" but that results in lots of java "NULL pointer exceptions" ..... :astonished:

PeterO:
I've tried adding the "Cross GCC Assembler" but that results in lots of java "NULL pointer exceptions" ..... :astonished:

Sounds like it won't work.
Is inline assembly an option for you?
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
Sounds like it won't work.

It may work as it's most likely I've not set it up correctly. Can you give any hints as to what setting would need to be made ?

Best regards
Jantje

Maybe, but it seems a shame the previous functionality (that just worked) has been removed.
PeterO

Hmmmm.....

Making some progress, but it seems like the ".S" file isn't being looked at atall. What should link a ".S" file to using the tool specified as the assembler ?

PeterO

PeterO:
Making some progress, but it seems like the ".S" file isn't being looked at a tall. What should link a ".S" file to using the tool specified as the assembler ?

The link is in the "tool" as such the "Cross GCC Assembler". The tool is linked to a file type and in the preferences you can add filename wild cards to file types. The tool decides where to look for files where to put the compilation output.
This is why I made "Arduino C compiler" "Arduino C++ compiler" ....
This is a area I completely rewrote to get everything in 1 eclipse project. The sequence of processing the files is at least "mysterious" so I would not spend to much time trying to plug in assembly only using the gui.

PeterO:

Jantje:
Best regards
Jantje

Maybe, but it seems a shame the previous functionality (that just worked) has been removed.

I agree it is removed functionality. Getting it to work in one project was a big pain. I had a real hard time and I was sometimes next to hopeless. So now 'm pleased it works. Not including the assembler was a small "cost". I see no reason why I could not add the assembler back in. Apart from

1. I have no test code.
  2. I have no need.
    Both are things you could help out with 8)

Best regards
Jantje

I'm happy to help, but I should say I haven't written any Java for about 15 years!
PeterO

Hi Jantje,

I need to measure the amount of RAM consumed by a particular code on Mega 2560 and Due. Is it possible to measure it using your Eclipse Plugin. I mean is the Printing size shown ... gives the consumed RAM size.

@Peter
You could provide a sketch with a .S file (I haven't written assembly in 20 years)

@Sohini25
The plugin gives a RAM usage estimate but not for the due (I havn't found a good command yet)
I doubt whether this is a good reason to start using the plugin as you can see the same output with a simple command line action.
In V1 the default behavior provides the info you request. In V2 you have to set the option to overwrite the default Arduino command.
Also note that this info does not take into account the Arduino bootloader.

Best regards
Jantje

Jantje,

Can you please tell me what command line action to use to check the memory usage.

"avr-size" --format=avr --mcu=atmega2560 "sketch.elf"

I believe this should only work in Linux based OS.

Will this work for Due as well?

Jantje:
@Peter
You could provide a sketch with a .S file (I haven't written assembly in 20 years)

Best regards
Jantje

I'll sort out a small example for you....

PeterO

PeterO:

Jantje:
@Peter

Best regards
Jantje

I'll sort out a small example for you....

PeterO

I'm looking forward to it.
Best regards
Jantje

Installation Instructions... Just reinstalled Eclipse to keep Arduino separate from other environments. Using Eclipse Kepler (Ubuntu 13.04, AMD64), got confused by the installation instructions. Using .../update site/ found there are two entries: 'Arduino' and 'Uncategorized'. Following instructions tried to install 1.2.0 and got a heap of error messages. Looked under 'Uncategorized' and found version 1.2.4 which seems to install OK.
The installation instructions referenced from the home page give different details from the sticky in this topic, and neither work. It would be very helpful if they could be changed to reflect what one actually has to do, or .../update site/ be changed to match the instructions.
Which is not to detract from my admiration for a fine piece of technology: thank you Jantje.

hamiljf
I read your post a couple of times now. I have to admit I don't get the message.
Jantje

Jantje:
[I'm looking forward to it.
Best regards
Jantje

Attached is a tarball of a small project that calls an assembler routine to generate a couple of pulses on port A PINS every 6uS.
PeterO

DelayLineTest2.tgz (19.2 KB)

Hello,

ok,

here is the the following.
I've deinstalled the plugin V2 version and installed the 1.2.5.5 Version. All worked fine, i made the settings and then I tried to create a new project - after the entry of the Arduino informations and clicking create I received the following error message.

eclpuginfmproject.jpg