Arduino Dial Up Modem shield

elinstech007:
what about this Board?

Industrial 4G/5G Router Manufacturer | M2M Router & Devices

That board seems GSM based, Arduino already has GSM shield ,The concept shield in question is for land-line phone

burraak:

Dial Up modem's days are long gone but Land line still exists either in the form of home pbx or PSTN, An Arduino based Dial Up modem shield can be used for a lot of fun projects.
I'm no electronics expert but modem chips are already available with AT Command support
http://www.conexant.com/Product/modems/embmodems/CX93040/Pages/default.aspx

I think Arduino can produce this shield in no time what do you think? :~

May I ask where you can buy?

That's a concept picture and not available as far as I know.

Maybe if enough people want this (and why not?) Adafruit could easily produce something like this.

This would be a good project .
Has anybody been able to do basic text /data control / file transfers via a 56kmodem and an arduino ?.

I have a place that has land line but no mobile cell coverage (out on a farm ) so it would be nice to be able to talk to a modem and transfer data or send messages for control or for modem to automatically via an arduino .. send this data to another device via land line so it can transfer this data to an online html page etc or online file ...

I'm surprised this has still not become a viable project. As it's an ideal system to swap data over very long distances. Probably due to issues/cost of getting a shield certified for connection to phone line.
Radicom seem to do some ideal looking modules
http://www.radi.com/modular51.htm
http://www.radi.com/modular29.htm
but probably not for hobby use.

Radicom specializes in designing and manufacturing modems for embedded system designers, original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and volume corporate users.

I just wish I had kept my old USR modems now.

Unless it could sold as "not approved for connection with the public telephone network line" getout clause.

Vellerman sell a Telephone Amp
http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350560
kit, which I doubt has been approved for connection either. :slight_smile:

These look great any idea how much they cost ?
I guess it is possible to use these as they have approval to connect.

My needs would be to have an Arduino data logger collect time stamped information then , connect it to a modem shield which at time interval X rings up another arduino unit or pc with modem and sends some data it has collected .It is ideal for places that have a phone but no internet .

I was also investigating the use of warning module arduino that can call another phone without it being rung up and using the ring tone and length of call to issue basic information to another module that listens for ringing and length of ringing .

I've no use for one, but it looks a very good idea. With it, you'd be able to have a remote Arduino automatically 'phone home' to upload collected data. But couldn't a USB shield, with a USB mobile [cell] phone dongle do the same job?

das250:
I was also investigating the use of warning module arduino that can call another phone without it being rung up and using the ring tone and length of call to issue basic information to another module that listens for ringing and length of ringing .

I though I had replied to this a while back but it never seemed to make it to the board.
You could maybe use DTMF as it allows 16 different tones so with a combination of *, #, A, B, C, D & 0-9 you could maybe send some quite complex messages.

@henry

No because the application is in the county and they only have a phone line . Also it may be handy for people who may want to log data and send very infrequently , an alarm event etc .. or some non often event .. and a phone line is available but not paid internet..

@RIVA, yes it might be a good method for sure .. This method is still used in some industries ..

I meant that the receiving arduinos do not pick phone up off hook and simply transmit the info via the ringing of the phone .. only the sending arduino dials but the call should be free because it is not picked up at other end ..
This means you could use the phone system without using the phone system ..
An interesting concept .. I wonder if the same concept can be used on internet systems .

If you could find a way to send custom Caller ID (this sent before the phone rings, I think) then the arduino could decode this, at most the phone would only need to ring once.

Nice idea..
Its amazing once you set up some basic challenges how people quickly start to create great ideas ...
It's like water dripping through cracks ..

Thanks for the idea s..
keep them coming and we might get some interest to build a few test ardunos ..

Unfortunately noone cared to pick this project otherwise we could have seen many interesting telephony related projects based on this idea e.g arduino based 4 port pbx its like arduino telephone exchange but none is interested
I tried to contact few shield venders they gave me estimated price of 1000 to 1200 USD which I cannot afford
Anyway whoever want to peruse please note along with modem chips CONEXANT also provide a complete circuit diagram for reference modem CSM92 ,all you need to do is to combine CONEXANT modem with Arduino

Yes a good product idea gone dead.
I had looked into this in some detail and the next best option I could think of is a shield with telephone sockets and protection circuits ready to receive one of these plug in modules. They do several module types (dial-up, Ethernet & bluetooth) all using the same form factor so maybe the shield could be made universal.
I suspect the big problem/cost here is getting approval to connect to your phone line.

@riva thankyou for appreciating this idea from start Yeah that MOUSER module looks interesting ,However in case of CONEXANT I don't think that we need any kind of "approval" check the attached document this is a complete document for CONEXANT serial reference modem with all circuit diagrams,BOM and finished product which is available from CONEXANT which means they have already provided an approved product all we need to do is to take that circuit as it is and give it an Arduino shape thats it (I donot know its legal implications though :slight_smile: )
Just look into this document nothing is required to create from scratch

Link to CSM92 reference modem document
http://filesflash.com/19qv4mwc

reference modem daughter board and motherboard

Riva:
Yes a good product idea gone dead.
I had looked into this in some detail and the next best option I could think of is a shield with telephone sockets and protection circuits ready to receive one of these plug in modules. They do several module types (dial-up, Ethernet & bluetooth) all using the same form factor so maybe the shield could be made universal.
I suspect the big problem/cost here is getting approval to connect to your phone line.

Yet another simpler idea like yours is maybe this. It will probably fit into a shield footprint with the few additional components needed like speaker, switches to select serial port pins (hardware/software) and a couple of jumpers to optionally break out signals like RING, CTS.

Wow... this is nice ... looks better than Conexant ,That means we have multiple (almost readymade) solutions to develop an Arduino Telephony base but it seems people are happy with their GSM shield .......... =(
By the way have you noticed it is one of the most viewed thread :slight_smile: even if you type "Arduino Modem" at google the concept image appears at first place :slight_smile: which means it has some sale potential ............

Riva:
Yet another simpler idea like yours is maybe this. It will probably fit into a shield footprint with the few additional components needed like speaker, switches to select serial port pins (hardware/software) and a couple of jumpers to optionally break out signals like RING, CTS.

Look at the recent kickstarter project and the guy's difficult & costly journey without arduino dialup modem sheild
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102287676/the-hangupmachine-a-spam-filter-for-your-phone?ref=category

I have been using one of these for years now, works a treat though a little cumbersome to edit out numbers.