How does a servo work (PWM or PPM)?

Avoiding references to PWM controlling servos should help reduce confusion with the output from analogWrite, so I will continue to evangelize the use of PPM to refer to servo signals.

And after that battle is won (if ever), maybe we can take on my next biggest complaint with Arduino vocabulary. Why in the world did someone chose the word analogWrite for the function that outputs a PWM output signal? Why was it not properly called pwmWrite?

Yes I know if one, using external components, low pass filters a PWM output signal, one can extract a analog voltage, but I'm sure the confusion and misunderstanding for newcomers to the Arduino world, often just learning hardware and software fundamentals, makes for additional road bumps in their learning curve.

No, Joe, it doesn't really output an analog voltage, but it kind of can, if you do some stuff and don't think too hard about it. :wink:

I recommend that for version 18 they announce that they have decided to eliminate the analogWrite command, but also announce that they will then replace it with a new and improved pwmWrite command. :wink:

Lefty