Skeet Range controller

Hi all!
Still new at building (coding) that is!
I would like to build something using the Arduino board and have the following in mind!
You have two machines that throw a clay target bird.

A high house with a machine (700 clays)
A low house with a machine (700 clays)

There a nine (stands)
H = High house machine
L = Low house machine
D = Both machines throw (High house machine + Low house machine)

Each button on the remote are labelled H, L and D and that corresponds to the relevant machine. So if you press for example the L button one Low target is released from the low house machine.

Stand 1 you will shoot H L D that would be equal to four clays
Stand 2 you will shoot H L D that would be equal to four clays
Stand 3 you will shoot H L that would be equal to two clays
Stand 4 you will shoot H L that would be equal to two clays
Stand 5 you will shoot H L that would be equal to two clays
Stand6 you will shoot H L D that would be equal to four clays
Stand7 you will shoot H L D that would be equal to four clays
Stand8 you will shoot H that would be equal to one clay
Stand9 you will shoot L that would be equal to one clay
If you have not missed one clay you repeat stand 9 L bird!

That will give you 25 clays

What I would like to build is the following:

1. A few RFID tags or credit style cards (Say 20)
  2. One Arduino board
  3. A few relays
  4. LCD display
  5. Card programmer
  6. Card reader

The credit style cards get loaded with 25, 50 ,75 or a 100 targets at the clubhouse.

You swipe the card at the range and only 25 targets may be released. Or the arduino counts 25 five clays(or releases) and will release no more unless the card is swiped again. Not sure how the arduino will remember this?

The arduino will be connected to each machine H and L to count.

Anyone have any idea how I would be able to do this or be able to give me advice?

Forgot to add up to six people must be able to use the system at a time.
Regards

Connected how? Duct taped onto the side?

To count what?

LOL yes I use duct tap it does a good job!

The arduino should count each time a clay is released (the clay machine uses a solenoid release, so should be simple to count that.

Hope that helps

Regards

I assume that the remote already exists.

Is the idea to have the arduino count clays by user and stop the traps firing when the user is out of credit?

It looks like there is a bonus clay if you have hit all of them. How does the system know this?

For multiple users, how will you know who is at each stand?

What's to stop the user choosing L L L at stand one?

I assume that the remote already exists.

Yes there is a remote already connected. When you press the remote a relay (12V about 500ma) is used to trigger the clay target machine.

Is the idea to have the arduino count clays by user and stop the traps firing when the user is out of credit?

One thought that came to mind that if there is more than one user, say 5 then the arduino will add 125 clays and then release 125 clays, once all 125 clays are released no more will be allowed. Until cards are swipped

It looks like there is a bonus clay if you have hit all of them. How does the system know this?

No bonus clay that makes a total of 25.

For multiple users, how will you know who is at each stand? the counting takes care of that matter,guys will be unhappy if you shoot his clays etc.

What's to stop the user choosing L L L at stand one?

He would run out after 25 clays and the other shooters would be unhappy.

Hope that helps

What happens if a shooter is DQ'ed or abandons part way through?

What happens if a machine runs out of targets?

Any display/keypad/menu required? (Be mindful of feature creep.)

Is the Arduino triggering the throw or merely counting throws?

Another consideration is the distance involved. The Arduino could be local to one house but remote from the other. You may want to think about a line driver/receiver subsystem for the remote house.

The shooter looses out!

What happens if a machine runs out of targets?
A committee member refills the hopper show goes on

Any display/keypad/menu required? (Be mindful of feature creep.)
Display would be nice! I have one

Is the Arduino triggering the throw or merely counting throws?
Only counting and stops the machine from throwing once all is done

Another consideration is the distance involved. The Arduino could be local to one house but remote from the other. You may want to think about a line driver/receiver subsystem for the remote house.

That I will sort out!

cpureaper:
The shooter looses out!

The system was started with four shooters (100 birds). One shooter abandons. What happens to the count of the unused birds?

OK good point! Way to remove birds should be active I would say

cpureaper,
I would like to build something like this as well. I have made some wireless remotes to replace the Pull cord on a skeet field and want to make an RFID system to count or remove the number of targets from an RFID card. Many clubs use this type of system for their Sporting Clay courses. These products like Promatic, Long Range Wireless do exactly what I want to do but cost WAY too much for my local club to use. Anyway, My thought was to build a system to replace the current token system that they use at my local club. It would be easier to keep track of by the shooter and they could just 'refill' the card at the counter like buying tokens.

So here is my idea,

Have an arduino either count up or count down the number of button presses(targets) from the wired remote and then will switch off the power to the wireless transmitter (in the same box) if the targets counted equal zero or the amount that was purchased is equal to what was thrown.

Using the 433Mhz or 315Mhz four channel transmitters and receivers you can make the pull cords wireless. I use 4 channel receivers with 4 relays for controlling H, L , D and Trap house for each field. I wired them according to the Western Skeet V400 Wiring Diagram. The receivers can either be the 4 channel/ 4 relay kind or single channel/ relay to install at the L or H houses and trap house. These can be synced to the D button so that both houses can throw on a single button press. This receiver is called 1Key 315/433MHZ Wireless Module Receiver Controller For Relay Remote Switch and can be found on ebay.

Reading the cards would not be an issue, how do you make the cards diminish in value after each button press, oh the 'D' button would count 2 either way, up or down.

I would love any feedback and/ or if you have continued with this build. I am starting mine this week.

Andy

I have found a reader/ writer on Alibaba.com to use with arduino hopefully. As long at the unit can read the count and subtract each bird thrown, this might work.

Andy