Driving a piezo loudly!

allanhurst:
You've drawn a parallel resonant circuit which presents a low impedance except at resonance - and only allows twice the supply volts across the piezo.

A series resonant circuit becomes low mpedance at resonance, and forces a lot of current to flow through the piezo. It has no such limitation .

If you used my circuit with a 56mH and added a 2.2nF across the piezo you'd also acheive resonance, and it ought to work at about 4.6 kHz

Note you can't use a single transistor driver here - try an arduino output to start with and tweak the extra C for best output.

Allan

Awesome, i'll give it a try, when i get back to the measuring equipment at Uni tomorrow! However i'm not quite sure what you meant about driving the transistor through the Arduino? Currently i'm using a wave-generator with square-wave output at around 4.6kHz with 1.5v amplitude, 50% duty ratio. I've attached the setup here.
I get (with the 15nF dummy acting as the piezo) around 6.2vAC from a 3.3vDC source. and a 4.7mH inductor which is the highest i've managed to get so far.

Thanks again so much for your help! I really appreciate it!