Tried to burn bootloader to arduino mega 2560. Now it don't respond anymore!

Hi!
I just updated to the latest arduino IDE version (1.0.4), and I saw in the changelog that the Atmega2560 bootloader was improved.
I thought I might give it a go, so I hooked up my USBasp to my mega2560, and hit "burn bootloader".
after several minutes the IDE hang, and when I tried to burn the bootloader againg, I'm just getting :

avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

What's wrong?
Have I fried my MEGA?

Does your USBasp supply power to the MEGA?

what happens if you run this:

avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p Atmega2560 -v -v

?

I'm running a mac. can I use terminal for that command?

EDIT:
It doesn't get any contact at all!
This was what I got:

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
avrdude: seen device from vendor ->www.fischl.de<-
avrdude: seen product ->USBasp<-
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA2560
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65    10   256    0 yes    262144  256   1024  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

Yes, the USBasp does supply power to the mega. I've also burned a bootloader to the board before, but the IDE hang, and the MEGA doesn't respond anymore :frowning:

Does anybody have a clue?

I encountered the same problem and had the same result after typing "avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p Atmega2560 -v -v"... Is there any solution?

It looks like some information is being read, but not the "critical" information. Just guessing, but I'd say that the lock bits are set in such a way as to prevent avrdude from reading the fuses or other critical information.

hansibull:
Yes, the USBasp does supply power to the mega. I've also burned a bootloader to the board before...

Try again using the old setup.

It's possible the low fuse may be set to internal low speed clocking of 128KHz. If that is the case your USBasp programmer cannot talk to the m2560 chip because it is running the older firmware version. Unless your USBasp version has a slow sck clock jumper option?

You could try upgrading the firmware of your USBasp programmer, but you will need another programmer to do it with.

Can you identify which USBasp programmer you have?