ESP-01 and 3.7V 1400 mAh Li-Po battery Problem [SOLVED]

Hi dear community;

I cant power up an ESP-01 with my 3.7v 1400 mAh Li-Po battery which could i fly drone.

İs there something wrong ?
i did measure the voltage and amps with a multimeter and i observe when i connect the pins Voltage drops to 1.4 but there is no drop when i connect them to a arduino's 3.3v. İs there a porblem with this battery ? or will all batteries behave like this ? where do i wrong ? what should i do for run it with a battery ?

Thanks in advance and best regards

I'd assume that your ESP is broken. It sounds like it's drawing more current than it should

KsKBeko:
Hi dear community;

İs there a porblem with this battery ? or will all batteries behave like this ? where do i wrong ? what should i do for run it with a battery ?

Thanks in advance and best regards

You placed 3.7V onto an ESP32's 3.3V bus is, most likely, an issue. My experience is that the wrong voltage on the ESP32's buss means the ESP32 does not work anymore.

If you want to use a 3.7V battery to power the ESP32:
A) wire 2*3.7's in series and then regulate the voltage down to 5V
B) use a step up (boost) converter module

The ESP8266 is rated to take up to 3.6V. Your battery will supply 4.2V when fully charged. that's enough to completely destroy the ESP8266 chip.

You have no choice but to use a low drop-out regulator, there are regulators that have as little as 200-300 mV minimum drop.

Idahowalker:
You placed 3.7V onto an ESP32's 3.3V bus is, most likely, an issue.

OP mentioned the ESP-01 module, which contains an ESP8266 chip, not its big brother.

i have two esp-01 and both of it works by arduino uno's 3.3v supply.
while esp-01 not connected to arduino. arduino uno's 3.3v output give me 3.3
and then i connect the esp-01 to arduino and measure again and observed 3.2v its drop 0.1 v and esp-01 works

and i measure the battery fully charge 4.0v esp not connected,

then i connect the esp-01 to battery and battery drop 1.1v is this abnormal
and i even measure the current to see if there any abnormal current flow but its show me only 70 mA

on the otherhand, after batter connection i did connect both of esp to arduiono again to control esp are not fry and i see both of its work normaly.

if you want i can record a video strangething, Tonight i will try it with another battery i will writ if there any change.

With my best regards , Thanks in advance

70mA current shouldn't drop the voltage much. You measure the voltage from a wrong place? How about drawing a picture how you actually connect them together?

Cheers,
Kari

Please don't come back here in a few weeks asking why your project stopped working. 4V is too high a voltage for an ESP8266. It may work for a bit, but it won't work reliably long term. Add a regulator.

wvmarle:
Please don't come back here in a few weeks asking why your project stopped working. 4V is too high a voltage for an ESP8266. It may work for a bit, but it won't work reliably long term. Add a regulator.

But when you connect even a led, battery voltage drop to 2.5v and alsow both of ESP-01 are work after battery connection. i tried with different battery everything normal. I detected battery was faulty.

Thanks for your opinion. Problem Solved

Are you serious, instead of testing more, you waste our time (well, our mistake) with that?

Maybe you should try to learn some basic electronics first, these are not going to get easier when you are building more complex systems.

Kari

GaryP:
Are you serious, instead of testing more, you waste our time (well, our mistake) with that?

Maybe you should try to learn some basic electronics first, these are not going to get easier when you are building more complex systems.

Kari

i could not able to find instant another battery to test and compare in that moment i just ask for any other experienced user if they having an issue like this before i buy another battery. Sorry for wasting your time...

KsKBeko:
... i tried with different battery everything normal. I detected battery was faulty.

Thanks for your opinion. Problem Solved

no, it is not.

what they are trying to tell you is that your setup is NOT ideal and will cause more problems in the future.

EDIT:
the comment about wasting time is not referring to "taking a long time to get another battery" but that you are not paying attention to the other advice.

1 Like