MKR WiFi 1010 "Usb device not recognized" / "Unknown device"

Hi people!

Recently I bought MKR WiFi 1010 at arduino.cc and followed these instructions: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/MKRWiFi1010

I am able to select MKR WiFi 1010 in Boards Manager, but I can't select Port for it. Tools -> Port menu option is not active.

When I plug MKR 1010 in, Windows says: "Usb device not recognized". In Device Manager it is marked as "Unknown device".

Then I manually installed drivers using dpinst*.exe from drivers folder, tried FTDI drivers as described here, tried to update driver from Device Manager and still no result!

After I plug MKR WiFi 1010 to USB port I see few (2-4) fast blinks of ON led and then it turn off.
I tried restarting IDE (1.8.8, 1.8.7, 1.8.6), plug WiFi 1010 on/off, different USB ports, few USB cables (Arduino Micro works fine), RESET button (single, double, fast double, long clicks) seems not work at all! Power On LED indicator does not react on RESET button.

Windows 7 x64 on Celeron (SandyBridge) (USB 2 and 3) / AMD A8 APU (USB 2 and 3) / Core 2 Quad (USB 2).
Windows 10 x64 on Pentium 4560 (USB 3).

Windows 7 machines are fresh installed, updated, drivers are up to date.
Windows 10 machine is not updated since Jan 3 2018 but drivers for chipset and USB 3 are OK.

PS:
I bought Mega 1280 in 2013 and about a week ago got a package from arduino.cc containing Mega 2560, Uno, Micro, MKR WiFi 1010... and water sensor.

All boards work except MKR WiFi 1010.

I there any way to make it working?

Have you tried to quickly double tap the reset button to enter boot loader mode?

If that doesn't work please contact: support@arduino.cc

sandeepmistry:
Have you tried to quickly double tap the reset button to enter boot loader mode?

Tried lot of times.

Have you installed the cores in the IDE for the MKR board ?

TOOLS.
BOARD / BOARD MANAGER.
In the empty box type "sam" and then select "Arduino SAMD Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+)"
INSTALL
CLOSE and RE-START the IDE.

Current core version is 1.6.20

Very occasionally it might also help to restart the computer or even perform the above steps with any additional security / antivirus turned off and using ADMINISTRATOR privileges.

ballscrewbob:
Have you installed the cores in the IDE for the MKR board ?

TOOLS.
BOARD / BOARD MANAGER.
In the empty box type "sam" and then select "Arduino SAMD Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+)"
INSTALL
CLOSE and RE-START the IDE.

Current core version is 1.6.20

Very occasionally it might also help to restart the computer or even perform the above steps with any additional security / antivirus turned off and using ADMINISTRATOR privileges.

Tried everything you say and lot of other "squats":
Restart IDE, portable config, reboot, reconnect device, different physical ports, USB 2 / 3, different hardware of 2008 - 2017 years, also tried one AMD system.
Went through tens pages google SERP.

I forgot to mention in first post that in Device Manager -> USB Controllers 1010's Device ID is detected as UNKNOWN\0000 or something similar. I am at work now, can tell exact Device ID later if necessary.

It certainly sounds like a board issue at this point.
Win 7 x64 pro and win 10 x64 pro here both on USB 2.0 with no issues in IDE's from 1.8.5 upwards.

HW IDs should be as follows.

USB\VID_2341&PID_8054&REV_0100&MI_00
USB\VID_2341&PID_8054&MI_00

The rev might change a little but the main VID & PID should be the same as I just took them from my 1010.

I thought it is a boot loader problem or something similar and I can fix it.
Will contact support now.

Thank you guys! :slight_smile:

Hi, have you solved this problem ? i have experience same here, brand new board and didn't recognize by my lap top.

Tnx in advance

Same problem here. Any news?

UPDATE:
Device doesn't appear at all, as not recognized or unknown device.

Support sent a replacement but package was left at the door and seems like somebody stole it :frowning:
I ordered another one and recevied it last week. Testing it right now. Seems like it works :slight_smile: