Errors uploading to Arduino/Genuino Uno

We just recently purchased an ELEGOO UNO Project Smart Robot Car Kit V 3.0 with UNO R3 kit, put the kit together, and followed the instructions to upload the first bits of code which should make it move.

I am using a Windows PC, and a USB cable supplied by the manufacturer. The code compiles just fine.

I opened the IDE first, then opened the auto_go.ino file directly from the CD.
I chose the board and port from the IDE Tools menu, and they are exactly as the instructions said they would be. (See attached image)
I've rebooted the PC, Reset the board, and unplugged/re-plugged the USB cord into the board.

I'm not sure what the problem is and I have never programmed an Arduino before in my life, so I'm a little lost. Can anyone help me to figure out what is going on? I assumed this would "just work".

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 2296 bytes (7%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 212 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1836 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM5 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\toddh\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_846704/AUTO_GO.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

arduino.jpg

toddhd's picture:
arduino.jpg

Try disconnecting everything from the Uno and uploading to just the Uno alone. Does that fix the error?

Did you connect things to the UNO board before trying to upload a sketch to it? The first thing you should do with the UNO is connect it to the computer but not anything else, and just upload something simple, like the example blink sketch. Depending on the circuit, things attached to the UNO may interfere with uploading sketches to it.

I fixed it. For the benefit of others that might see this post, it was a problem specific to this board/set I think. When the bluetooth module is attached, it won't accept the upload from the IDE. Period. Ever. Removing the bluetooth module fixed the problem and all is well now.