Set up and Program Help!!

Hey guys,

I know you guys probably answer this all the time and somehow I cant find the answer after hours of searching, but

I have a 12v dc motor http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-DC-Motor-3LCH7?Pid=search

12v battery http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RAYOVAC-Lantern-Battery-5U056?Pid=search

Arduino Uno, seeed studio motorshield http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/motor-shield-p-913.html (It can handle only 2a continuously)

NTE262 transistor which is supposed to be similar to the tip120.

I want to program the arduino to do to move the dc motor for example: 2 rotations clockwise, then stop, go 2 rotations counterclockwise, stop, 1/4 rotation clockwise, stop, 1/4 rotation counterclockwise

If that is confusing I have a video that will show exactly what I mean dancing bot - YouTube bigger circle in the bottom is connected to the motor through gears that makes the movement.

Thank you so much for any help on this.

What part do you need help with?

I want to program the arduino to do to move the dc motor for example: 2 rotations clockwise, then stop, go 2 rotations counterclockwise, stop, 1/4 rotation clockwise, stop, 1/4 rotation counterclockwise

With that motor? Forget it. It isn't a servo or stepper.

You'll have to make your own servo. This will involve adding a rotation sensor, either a pot or a rotary encoder, and PID control. I would suggest a rotary encoder for your application.

Does the motor have some sort of brake mechanism? Motors, especially large motors, have a fair amount of inertia. Once you get it to turn two revolutions, you'll need a way to stop it. You can apply a short pulse of reverse polarity voltage, but that might be inconsistent. Hopefully the large motor has a brake.

LarryD:
What part do you need help with?

On the programming the software to do those kinds of actions

PaulS:

With that motor? Forget it. It isn't a servo or stepper.

I was thinking of using a servo, but they are not strong enough for the right price to handle the heavy equipment being held up by the motor, unless you can recommend one. thank you

MaJiG:
Does the motor have some sort of brake mechanism? Motors, especially large motors, have a fair amount of inertia. Once you get it to turn two revolutions, you'll need a way to stop it. You can apply a short pulse of reverse polarity voltage, but that might be inconsistent. Hopefully the large motor has a brake.

What I am going to do with the motor is actually add a bunch of gears to slow it down drastically and increase the torque. When I test the small motor the toy has with 3 AAA batteries and the bigger motor with the 12V battery, they both stop and go at the same speed.

futurenbain8:
I was thinking of using a servo, but they are not strong enough for the right price to handle the heavy equipment being held up by the motor, unless you can recommend one. thank you

What sort of force, travel and speed do you require?