Github repository on git.arduino.cc ?

I might be nice to have a github instance at git.arduino.cc . It would be a natural home for arduino code, and you have an existing SSO infrastructure that could probably be made to tie into it. I believe the github app is open source and it's ok to host your own instance. If not, I'm sure that there are plenty of open-source off-the-shelf solutions.

This is perhps an issue now that Microsoft has purchased GitHub.com . It's likely that many hobbyists and open source developers might feel more comfortable if the primary repository for their Arduino code were elsewhere.

GitHub is not open source.

Although I'm very unhappy about idiot Microsoft owning GitHub, I'll trust Microsoft over the Arduino web team with my repos any day. There are some great people working for Arduino... but sorry, no way.

I would be very concerned if the git repository for an open source project was hosted at the company running the project. That is NOT comfortable.

westfw:
I would be very concerned if the git repository for an open source project was hosted at the company running the project. That is NOT comfortable.

I think I agree with you but I'm not sure why. Can you expand?

Can you expand?

Open Source resources need to be maintained at a financially remote entity. The worst thing than can happen is that the principle development group goes bankrupt or gets frustrated, says "we're done", turns off all of their servers and disappears. No more download site, no more source code, except whatever individuals have stashed away. No more forums containing 10+ years of discussion. All gone. Part spite, part "we just don't have the resources to maintain availability."
The whole arduino .org/.cc split could have gone that way, pretty easily. There have been complaints (here) that the 1.7x IDEs supporting some of the .org-specific boards are no longer available for download. (they're still on github,)
The older EAGLE binaries almost disappeared when Cadsoft was acquired by Autodesk. The HTCC "free" compilers went away when Microchip acquired High-Tech. The Mac versions of Codewarrior stopped when Motorola (Freescale?) bought Metroworks. (These last free examples were not "open source", so they weren't "ideology" crises, but they were unpleasant enough...)
Note that Arduino already survived one "we don't want to run a OSSW site any more; stuff used to be hosted on Google Code...) Microsoft could ruin github, but it would pretty much have to be a relatively slow process, giving plenty of time for a transition to something else (assuming that there IS something else..)

Well put.

westfw:
except whatever individuals have stashed away

This to me is the one key defense we have.

Huh. I wasn't aware of the history of drama. Still - having provision for posters to these forums to use a git repo hosted at these forums still strikes me as a useful idea. I suppose it comes down to what the owners of arduino.cc think. If there was a git.arduino.cc, I'd use it.

Even after yesterday's all-day forum outage?

pert:
Even after yesterday's all-day forum outage?

Well, having the repo go down occasionally is a great way to teach people to not rely on the repo always being available.

Yeah, it's pretty funny to read the replies on Twitter when GitHub or Travis CI announce an outage.

Of course we should always have our own backups but it's doesn't really seem worthwhile to maintain backup infrastructure to retain the ability to easily collaborate considering the decent uptime of these services. GitHub has been really reliable. Travis CI is a bit patchy but still not too bad.

pert:
Of course we should always have our own backups but it's doesn't really seem worthwhile to maintain backup infrastructure to retain the ability to easily collaborate considering the decent uptime of these services.

If one can be confident that the website owner will fix the problem one can live with occasional interruptions in a non-essential service like this Forum or Github.

But the risk with having all one's eggs in the same basket (i.e. Arduino OpenSource code in an Arduino controlled website) is that the website owner may decide to close the website - for financial reasons or otherwise.

...R