Leonardo detected and 5 secs later not detected

Hi all
I have been trying simple things with leonardo. The last thing I tried was the Jeelib support for rfm12b, which configures serial connections in order to "debug" cmmunications.

I thing that since the moment I burned the rmf12 sample program arduino leonard is not detected by widows anymore. As usually i do this:

1 Turn on windows 7 laptop and open hardware management
2 Connect usb cable to leonardo
3 Connect usb to laptop. In the PORTS (COM and LPT) section I can see "Arduino Leonard Bootloader (COM13)"

Five seconds later the hardware management is auto refreshed and the "Arduino Leonard Bootloader (COM13)" entry desapears and a wndows ballon poput appears saying that "USB device not recognized" on system tray.

I already removed the unknown device that remain in the hardware management and installed again leonard but that does not solves the problem

Thanks a lot

Alex

Hi,
can you upload a "normal" sketch (say, Blink)? I don't know Jeelib, but it is possible that it relies on pin assignments that are not good for the Leonardo.

What happens to you is, partially, expected: when the Leonardo starts it shows as a normal communications device. For about 5 seconds it runs the bootloader and waits for incoming uploads. Then it disconnects and redefines itself as more than one device (a comm device plus mouse plus keyboard). The comm-only device seen by Windows on initial startup is no more valid. Normally it is replaced by a new set of devices, but here Jeelib may be causing troubles. If you can upload a sketch you are at least confident that you have at least restored the Leonardo to its normal state, then you can examine Jeelib and look for potential sources of incompatibility.

If i understood well you said that I need to burn something (e.g. blink) while the leonard is known (the 5 seconds)...
I tryied to click the burn button right after connecting usb cable but the 5 secs are not enough to write the image in the leonard and the burn process is aborted

Alex

See this section of Leonardo guide:

Pay special attention to the third paragraph that starts with, "These differences affect the way you use the physical reset button to perform an upload if the auto-reset isn't working."

alexe100:
If i understood well you said that I need to burn something (e.g. blink) while the leonard is known (the 5 seconds)...
I tryied to click the burn button right after connecting usb cable but the 5 secs are not enough to write the image in the leonard and the burn process is aborted

Alex

Yes, it's tricky. First, the IDE must "remember" the last com port used. Hopefully the com port is seen by the IDE when the Usb with Leo is connected, and kept even when the Leo changes its nature. So, without removing the Usb anymore, you might try at first to upload blink, just so. If this doesn't work (and, honestly, I think it won't), you should start using the reset button on the Leo in conjunction with the upload button in the IDE. Press reset, wait one second, press upload. Try again, wait a little more (or a little less), press upload...

I used the reset button but there is not time to send the bootloader or a program to the leonardo :frowning:

Press and hold the reset button, continue to hold while you select Upload in the IDE.
When the IDE shows Uploading, release the reset button.

Thank you Louis Davis . Thats is... I was readaing the paragraph point by you and trying it.
It works using that trick.

Alex