iPAD!!!!!  OMG!!!

IF apple was going to change their stance on open software they missed the boat a loooooong time ago

they haven't allowed much open programing starting with the original Macintosh (ever hear of a programing switch)

I think the iPad is going to be Appl'ss first big flop in a long time.

We can only hope ;D!

It's been too long..

Hey i love my iTouch but updates don't come fast enough and the platform isn't as open as it should be. I should be able to do allot more with interfacing it with other things without the need to jailbreak it.

The 3G iPads will have GPS according to the specs at apple.com

Andrew

for darn near a grand it better

The 3G iPads will have GPS according to the specs at apple.com

Still no camera though!

can you imagine trying to take a photo with that huge rectangle? It's like trying to hold up a picture frame to take a photo... irony...

The camera would be used more for AR purposes. Imagine coupling facial recognition with the system. The iPhone doesn't have enough hardware to support something like that but the iPad might. You take the iPad, with GPS, and camera and you can have the actual street view with the GPS map overlaid on it as you drive down the road.

see if it had USB they could make an addon webcam ... call it the iBall

iLike the sound of an iBall.

What if you wanted two of them? Perhaps iBalls

ahh, good 'ol immaturity.

well there is an add on connector to give USB for plugging a camera into but that is for 'transfering images'. Dunno if you could make a webcam work...

Mowcius

dunno, for the camera / sd reader dongle it has to have some form of usb host in there

still doesn't that break the uber sleekness of it, good ole apple and their dongles

Right.

Steve Jobs is a baller and needs his dongle to stay where it is.

^win

it's a bit expensive for me as well. i'm not planing to buy one for myself. i don't see the space for it now.

but for what it is i don't think it can be made much cheaper. Look at the joojoo or the kindle dx. not much under 500 dollar if at all.

everyone was raving how expensive the iphone was, but until today nobody was able to build something similar for significant less money. nexus one, droid, htc all play in the 500-600 dollar range.

now for what it does not have, that reminds me a bit at the outcry when apple decided not to use floppy drives anymore. later when they released a laptop without an any drive. Seriously, what do you want to plug into the iPad via usb that would make sense?
Btw, you can use USB with a dongle, same as SD cards. An i guess there must be some sort of hardware or bluetooth serial port for the keyboard.

It's funny to see geeks all over the place almost getting angry at the stuff it doesn't have and the things it doesn't do. Well then it's obviously not for you, don't buy it and move on. It's an offer that is not supposed to be for everyone.
Does anyone care if Logitech releases a gold platet mouse with an mechanical ball for 500 Dollar?

One thing stikes me though. My friends dad has seen this thing and is totaly eager to buy it. He is 60 years old, has never used much more than a dumb mobile phone and used a computer keyboard only by accident. He does not know what is opensource or a flash player.

The iPad could possibly open a new market for ppl who have never used a computer, cause the 102 keys and many buttons are just too confusing for them. we as geeks can not imagine how a normal computer looks to a non technical person. it just has trouble written all over it.

I guess everyone know the situation when parents or parts of the family call you on a sunday morning as the "tech guy" cause the "internet is broken", and you need to find out how to fix it throught the phone. Imagine they would use an iPad instead.

Well i'm pretty excited specialy about the last thing ;D ;D ;D

You pose a fair point, but it is blatantly lacking what are to me essential things such as USB, removable battery, etc.

Btw, you can use USB with a dongle, same as SD cards. An i guess there must be some sort of hardware or bluetooth serial port for the keyboard.

Great! Another overpriced Apple product I have to buy to get my things to work properly ;D!

Ok, I shal now turn off notifications for this topic as I think I have heard enough apple bashing to last a few months ;D

Mowcius

@TchnclFl

Overpriced with 500 dollar? get real.

If the Macbook Air could make profit, I have no doubts about the future of the iPad.