Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When?

Not in this universe, but I think there's a parallel one where some lucky individuals are playing with beta versions. Unfortunately so far there's been no wormhole to allow the transfer of information between the two.

Rob

Graynomad:
Not in this universe, but I think there's a parallel one where some lucky individuals are playing with beta versions. Unfortunately so far there's been no wormhole to allow the transfer of information between the two.

I'm not sure they are lucky individuals. I guess there is a "silence pact" and a lot of tests to be done.
Everybody who has been active on this forum knows how silent the core team can be. So plenty of pressure for the lucky few.
Off-course they have a beta board (they will probably own once the due is released); but how many bugs will they face given our 1.0 experience? How much time will they have invested?
I sure do not envy them :slight_smile:

Greetings from Belgium
Jantje

I sure do not envy them

Good point, it would be work really and I have my own projects to tinker with so I'm happy NOT doing it, and if lack if info is the price I pay so be it.

Off-course they have a beta board (they will probably own once the due is released)

Weeks of work for a board, I'll spend $70 or whatever when the time comes (maybe). Meanwhile I'm about to come up to speed with ARMs using LPC Xpresso boards. Not that there's much similarity because the IO is totally different but I've started writing HAL functions that should port to Arduino if I get the inclination one day.

Rob

They said it will be 90MHz? I just need it for the extra speed and such. Driving displays and such.
I certainly don't understand the software and all that jazz to be able to develop and test it.

Massimo mentions that Due will operate at 3.3V (Massimo Banzi Introduces Arduino Leonardo - YouTube). I wonder if data pins will get converted and if it is a headache to do?
Any news on when maybe?

Due will operate at 3.3V

No surprise there, I can't see them adding level converters to the board.

Rob

Thats interesting that they are speaking about their new layout considering the Due will have more of a Mega layout.

I wish they would just release the thing.

funkyguy4000:
Thats interesting that they are speaking about their new layout considering the Due will have more of a Mega layout.

Considering that Uno-sized shields can plug into already the Mega (although a number of them need to be modified/have additional wires run to function correctly), standardizing the pin so the Due can use the same pin layout as the smaller boards isn't far-fetched at all. Of course, there will probably be other pins beyond the Uno/Leonardo sized regon. However, they could all be just additional general purpose I/O pins.

I wish they would just release the thing.

Quoted for emphasis... :slight_smile:

It looks like the analog pins on the Due are a bit lower than the Digital ones

Imgur

Like the A6 + A7 are more to the right. See what I mean?
If that is what it is, then the R3 layout won't do much good.

I see your point that existing shields would cover the A6 and A7 pins (either making them hard to use or inaccessable), but remember two things. First, these are development boards and the pin layout can still be modified slightly for the commercially sold boards. Second and most importantly, the Uno only has A0 through A5 so any Uno-compatible shield would only use 6 "analog" pins. Therefore, at worst an Uno shield would cost the use of 2 analog pins, but should still function all the same.

And thirdly (no one expects the Spanish Inquisition) shields are for wimps anyway so if you are up to using a Due you are probbly beyond shields, at least the shields that exist at the moment.

Yea, thats true. I've never had a shield, although I have been considering one since its like 2 bucks and it separates a double row of 20 pins each to a point where I can smack it on a breadboard, but I don't wanna use it as a shield.

So the information that we know about the Due, is that all concrete?

funkyguy4000:
So the information that we know about the Due, is that all concrete?

I think I remember Massimo saying that they produced 100 boards for testing. So, I would say it is not concrete but perhaps slushy. XD

Haha, ok. Its just i'm working on an Arduino reference app and I wasn't sure if I should put the Due into it quite yet

Arduino reference app

Please let us know when any of that is available...

I have some stuff here: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/QuickRef

Yea, will do! I am working on the hard parts first. I should have it completed by august 10th at the very latest.

is that a standard completion date or an Arduino completion date? :stuck_out_tongue:

We don't know a date for the Due yet, the august 10th was just a project that I am working on. I've hit a few bumps and they are proving difficult to solve.
Lets try to keep this about the Due though.

In a little more than a month it will have been one year since Arduino Due announcement... I hope it comes out soon, I would like to use it for some projects when school starts.