Bluetooth Controlled Model Train - Beginner

Hello Everyone.

I am new to Arduino products but would like to use them for a project i have.

I am into model railways and would like to create a bluetooth control for one of my trains. Please could you give me some guidance on what to and the feasibility of this project and what to buy. Details are below.

1. The rails a powered to 12V DC. I plan to use this to power the train, module and controller.
  2. Train has one motor. This needs to be controlled via bluetooth.
  3. I would like to have the option to control the train headlights which are LED's. Is this possible?
  4. I would like to control the train from my Android phone.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I am controlling battery powered N Gauge model trains with 2.4Ghz wireless using these devices

I have written about it here Very Small Arduino with 2.4Ghz wireless transceiver and motor bridge - DelTino - Microcontrollers - Arduino Forum. Please bear in mind that that post was written for an older version of the Deltino transceiver and a few small changes are needed for the current version.

You will also find a lot of useful information here R.C. The Future Now If You Desire - Model Railroad Forums - Freerails

A great deal of the information is applicable to rail-powered as well as battery powered trains.

...R

Hi,

Am a newbie in the Arduino world.

Have a similar project to run a model train loco from Arduino Nano placed on/ within the loco. Would want to control it via Bluetooth.

Is this possible.

Problems I foresee are
1 Power supply for the board. Size and weight both, if a separate power supply is used.

2 If track power is used, will there be any additional elements​ needed ?

Thanks in advance.

What size model trains are you using?

The only problem with track power is that the Arduino will reset if there is even a very short disconnection.

What is the maximum voltage on the track power? The voltage range for a Nano is 7-12v and many model railways work with 14v or 16v. If running from track power it might be wise to use a 7805 voltage regulator to provide a 5v supply for the Nano's 5v pin.

Have you space for a couple of AA batteries - they would run an Arduino for a long time.

...R

Thanks. I didn't realise Arduino reset with momentary loss of power.

The track is powered by a 14v 1A supply.

The scale I am working on is HO so have abt 100x 28x26 mm space. I don't think it will fit two AA batteries, but may accommodate two AAAs.

But will have to think of ways to get over the Arduino reset possibility.

Thanks

nphadke:
The scale I am working on is HO so have abt 100x 28x26 mm space. I don't think it will fit two AA batteries, but may accommodate two AAAs.

That seems a huge space. :slight_smile:

I am building a Battery Powered R/C 00 tank loco and I have about 20x30x16mm for the electronics and about 9x30x16 for the battery. And I have built BPR/C into an N Gauge tank loco.

This is a picture of an early version of my receiver without the motor driver

I am using nRF24L01+ transceivers rather than Bluetooth

Another battery option for your model is a 1s LiPo. If it is only powering the Arduino an 80mAh cell would last a long time. The cells I have are 9mm diam x about 18mm long. (I got that down to 16mm with a bit of "repackaging"). Just be careful when charging LiPos and never allow them to short-circuit.

...R

Thank you. That looks great.

Does your circuit have a motor driver ? Looks like adding that too will consume some more space. Typical size I searched online looked abt 9 cms.

If possible can you please post pic of your circuit?

I am now thinking of using 7805 for powering the nano.

I have posted more about th project on RMWeb

The wireless part is essentially the same as in this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

There is nothing unusual about the way the DRV8833 driver is used.

...R

Robin2:
The only problem with track power is that the Arduino will reset if there is even a very short disconnection.

Supercap.

Jiggy-Ninja:
Supercap.

They are widely used for "stay-alive" in DCC systems but I have no experience of them myself.

I am using onboard battery power rather than track power so I don't need them.

...R