A 1000uf killed my arduino?

I'm a beginner
I used a 16v 1000uf cap before a step down convertor witch was set to 5v to power my arduino using 5v pin and then my arduino wasn't able anymore to execute the code and also it won't appear on device manager anymore
I have a arduino nano clone and it worked before I did that

I also switched the power source from 9 to 12 and I think the arduino was plugged in this time

The cap was the problem? Why?

Hi,
Can you take a deep breath and read your post.

Then take another deep breath and explain slowly in point form what you have and what happened please?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Which buck converter? How was everything wired up? If the converter really was generating a
clean 5V nothing bad would happen.

A little extra decoupling on the input to a DC-DC converter is not your problem, something else was
the issue - it sounds like a high voltage go to the 5V rail somehow.

MarkT:
Which buck converter? How was everything wired up? If the converter really was generating a
clean 5V nothing bad would happen.

A little extra decoupling on the input to a DC-DC converter is not your problem, something else was
the issue - it sounds like a high voltage go to the 5V rail somehow.

1.Variable power supply (weak old) set to 9v
2.The cap
3.mp1584 step down set to 5v
4.arduino nano on 5v pin
+i/o expander
+lcd screen

Because I didn't modify much I suppose that the arduino died because of the cap
I read the voltage from the output of the convertor without the arduino and the voltage was slowly going from 5.2 to 4-3-2-1-0 (with multimeter) it is possibly that because of the low voltage on the regulated input the arduino killed it?

Sounds like the converter is dead now.

I presume you powered everything down before adding the capacitor and that the capacitor
was discharged before adding to the circuit?

What was your actual converter (not what chip does it have, what module is it? A reputable one?)

MarkT:
Sounds like the converter is dead now.

I presume you powered everything down before adding the capacitor and that the capacitor
was discharged before adding to the circuit?

What was your actual converter (not what chip does it have, what module is it? A reputable one?)

I don't know about the rest of the components but when I plus the power the lcd power up corectly
Also I have 5.1v from the convertor

It was discharged and it is added before the convertor because I thought it had same protection or something

TomGeorge:
Tom... :slight_smile:

MarkT:
Mark

Do you think arduino just lose his bootloader because of the low voltage from the cap?
Maybe it isn't dead.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll buy a new one and try to flash it again
The problem is i'm afraid to plug is again into my project even with the cap removed

Because I didn't modify much I suppose that the arduino died because of the cap
I read the voltage from the output of the convertor without the arduino and the voltage was slowly going from 5.2 to 4-3-2-1-0 (with multimeter) it is possibly that because of the low voltage on the regulated input the arduino killed it?

Maybe the capacitor was backwards... Or if you're sure you had the +end of the capacitor to the +voltage? Or maybe it was marked backwards or maybe it was defective.

Sometimes when you put a reverse voltage across a capacitor it doesn't die immediately... Sometimes the current slowly increases until the capacitor becomes a short circuit. Sometimes the cap will burn-up and sometimes the power supply will die.

In any case, a bad or reversed capacitor might kill the power supply but is shouldn't hurt the Arduino.

And this was an official Arduino or clone with a 16u2, not a clone with CH340G?

$5 says the '328p is still fine but the 16u2 is dead.

Man. I wish I had a box of 16u2 based arduinos that I didn't have to pay for that I could trash... the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place for me w/regards to the mysteriously high failure rate of official boards' 16u2...

DrAzzy:
And this was an official Arduino or clone with a 16u2, not a clone with CH340G?

$5 says the '328p is still fine but the 16u2 is dead.

Man. I wish I had a box of 16u2 based arduinos that I didn't have to pay for that I could trash... the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place for me w/regards to the mysteriously high failure rate of official boards' 16u2...

It Was a clone with ch340 but I think the USB cip is broken too because I got nothing on my computer when I plug it in, but the leds are going on an stay like this(rx)

The price was 3.4 usd
And I don't understand the rest of your post

Paaaaaah!

Well, then that's not relevant... I got so excited. Somehow I thought you had a 16u2-based one, and those have a strangly large number of failures, usually when someone was doing something with the power rail while plugged into USB, and usually with the rest of board functionality intact, and I'd like to understand them so I can tell people who ask for help what they did. I can't think of another case where someone fried a ch340g on their Arduino board. I think you probably got power put onto it backwards or something.

I also switched the power source from 9 to 12 and I think the arduino was plugged in this time

Messing about with a circuit with the power still connected is a great way of destroying it.

Today i got the new nano, i upload arduino as isp on it, plug the other arduino to it, try to upload using programmer blink code and i got this error

Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.
Wrong microcontroller found.  Did you select the right board from the Tools > Board menu?

after that, i tried to upload a blink code without the "using programmer" and it did upload it and both of them are blinking but if if plug only the broken one, it didn't work

also, i realised that the leds on the old one are lower brightness then the new one (not too much)
also, the old one is getting a little bit hotter then the new one

i suppose with that being said, there is no comeback for the old one, but i'm still afraid to plug the new one
i'm thinking that my variable step-down convertor was the prob or the power supply , shoud i build a circuit witch cut the voltage if exces 5.5v ?

Put Arduino as ISP back on the board and enable verbose upload, and try again and post output. With verbose upload, it will show you what it sees as the signature. If all 0's, it's wiring problem or bad/missing crystal when fuses say to use one. Otherwise, it points in other directions.

[...]

Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Users\meg3o\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino6/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\meg3o\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -PCOM22 -b19200 -Uflash:w:C:\Users\meg3o\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\meg3o\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM22
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x00ff00
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I rechecked every 6 pins using my multimeter and it seems like everyone is connected

I can't see how you have them plugged into the breadboard but I don't think there's any way you could make that work.

That photo looks like you are shorting out one hell of a lot of pins on each Arduino.

Grumpy_Mike:
That photo looks like you are shorting out one hell of a lot of pins on each Arduino.

it just looks like, the pins are bended so they enter different holes

My questions right now are:
How i can use my arduino with the lcd and expander and also keep the lowest idle consumation
because it seems like the step down convertor isn't recomandated to be connected directly to the 5V pin
I also have a 5V regulator this mean i could increase the voltage to 7V and then plug the arduino via normal VIN and the other 2 components by my regulator but that will result in a bigger power consumtion and i don't need that

There must be a way of doing it better but i'm a beginner and this is the only thing that came up to my mind

because it seems like the step down convertor isn't recomandated to be connected directly to the 5V pin

Why who said that? It is rubbish.

it just looks like, the pins are bended so they enter different holes

The word is bent. Really? It is a great optical illusion.