Newbie Help - Temperature sensors

hi,

ive been told an arduino will do what im after and that this forum is very helpful and will steer me in the right direction.

i design and build lasers, im a engineer at heart. i own two cnc milling machines which i use to make lasers, i buy the electronics in.
electronics baffle me, i dont understand them and i find coding boring and hard work.

what i need for my current project is, 4 temp sensors, where the temps are displays in a 4 line illuminated screen. then one of the sensors controls a fan, so when a set temp is reached a fan turns on.

any comments or help welcome.
couldnt find a section on the forum where you can request to pay people to undertake projects for you, so hoping this section is right

cheers

andy_con:
what i need for my current project is, 4 temp sensors, where the temps are displays in a 4 line illuminated screen. then one of the sensors controls a fan, so when a set temp is reached a fan turns on.

any comments or help welcome.
couldnt find a section on the forum where you can request to pay people to undertake projects for you, so hoping this section is right

Where are you located?
I've recently done pretty much exactly the same thing and would be happy to help out.

UK

awesome thanks thanks, this is just part of a much bigger project. so if things go well i could put more work your way.

i want a good sized illuminated screen displaying the 4 temps

andy_con:

For posterity, Gigs and Collaboration would be the normal section for these kinds of requests.

Arrch:

andy_con:

For posterity, Gigs and Collaboration would be the normal section for these kinds of requests.

ok sorry, many thanks

You should also explain the scope of what this person you're hiring is doing. Are they assembling everything and shipping it to you? Have you picked out the hardware, and have the basics working and just need the program written? Should they walk you though purchasing and hooking up the hardware yourself? Should they be nearby to help you get it working? Etc.

Arrch:
You should also explain the scope of what this person you're hiring is doing. Are they assembling everything and shipping it to you? Have you picked out the hardware, and have the basics working and just need the program written? Should they walk you though purchasing and hooking up the hardware yourself? Should they be nearby to help you get it working? Etc.

ok thanks for the tips.

im clueless, ive done nothing, i dont know what to do.

id like to know design costs and costs for a single working prototype. i need someone to design from scratch and ill pick up the costs

person doesnt need to be close by as shipping is fine

A couple more clariyfing questions:

4 line illuminated screen.

When you say "illuminated screen", are you talking about something like this:

Does it have to be 4 lines?
Does the project need to be put into a case?
What kind of fan is it controlling?

It sounds as if you want a thermostat and some thermometer displays. Do you specifically need to make these yourself (are they a product you plan to sell)? I'd have thought that the functionality you're asking for could be obtained quite easily using standard off-the-shelf consumer products, if you aren't set on building your own.

i build laser projectors for show use, so the ones you see at festivals and other big gigs.

so the screen will be mounted in the back of the projector case, the back panel is aluminum so ill machine a cut out for it.

id like 4 lines so each sensors in this case, red, blue, green and base can be viewed at once.

the fans are two 60mm computer fans, so output for the fans needs to be 12v at say 2amps max

actual photos -

Arrch:
A couple more clariyfing questions:

4 line illuminated screen.

When you say "illuminated screen", are you talking about something like this:

Does it have to be 4 lines?
Does the project need to be put into a case?
What kind of fan is it controlling?

PeterH:
It sounds as if you want a thermostat and some thermometer displays. Do you specifically need to make these yourself (are they a product you plan to sell)? I'd have thought that the functionality you're asking for could be obtained quite easily using standard off-the-shelf consumer products, if you aren't set on building your own.

currently i want one + more for myself. but i they work well and look good etc... then i may sell them.

dont have to build myself, but i need something that fits my needs exactly

Questions asked so far:

1. Does it have to be 4 lines?
  2. Does the project need to be put into a case?
  3. What kind of fan is it controlling?

To add to that:
4. Does it have to be an LCD at all or could it be 4 of these:

1. How is the target temperature set? Two buttons (+/-) enough or is a more elaborate user interaction required?
  2. Just one relay?
  3. What's the temperature range?

Cost wise I'd budget somewhere around this:

• Controller (Probably ATMega328p ~$5
  • Sensors 4x $2.50 = $10
  • Relay $5
  • Display $10-$50 depending on size/type
  • Misc items (voltage regulator etc.) ~$10
    ======
    $40-$80 depending on display

ok

1 - yes, i like the green illuminated screen above, its more compact
2 - yes as above
3 - 2x 60mm computer fans, so would need 12v at max of 2amps

4 - dont like them so would rather an lcd
5 - id set to temp whilst completing the projector, so id set everything up.
6 - been told a relay isnt the best thing to use, ive been told a fet should be used its solid state or something. but hey im far from an expert.
7 - fan would need to come on at something like 25 degrees.

cheers

int2str:
Questions asked so far:

1. Does it have to be 4 lines?
  2. Does the project need to be put into a case?
  3. What kind of fan is it controlling?

To add to that:
4. Does it have to be an LCD at all or could it be 4 of these:

1. How is the target temperature set? Two buttons (+/-) enough or is a more elaborate user interaction required?
  2. Just one relay?
  3. What's the temperature range?

Cost wise I'd budget somewhere around this:

• Controller (Probably ATMega328p ~$5
  • Sensors 4x $2.50 = $10
  • Relay $5
  • Display $10-$50 depending on size/type
  • Misc items (voltage regulator etc.) ~$10
    ======
    $40-$80 depending on display

So the circuitry can be attached to the case, next to the LCD readout?

How far will these temperature sensors be placed in relation to the LCD/Circuit board?

Arrch:
So the circuitry can be attached to the case, next to the LCD readout?

How far will these temperature sensors be placed in relation to the LCD/Circuit board?

it can be attached or separate i have space within the case to put stuff.

not far max of 150mm from rear panel where the lcd will be mounted

actual layout, not complete but most of the stuff in

andy_con:

A display like that is around $25.
Are you sure you wouldn't be fine with a 16x2 display? There's enough room to display 4 temperatures and they can be had for <$10?
I think they're also easier to read.... (see image below)

Which brings me to the next point:
What's your budget for this?

2 - yes as above

Sounds like you can mount the LCD & electronics yourself once received.

6 - been told a relay isnt the best thing to use, ive been told a fet should be used its solid state or something. but hey im far from an expert.

Doesn't make much difference. I'd prefer a relay because it will give you flexibility to use any fan you like down the road.
Probably something like this (2 channel to keep the future options open):

16x2 LCD:

Are those 12V power supplies?
Can the temperature controller/LCD be powered by those?

yes mounting isnt an issue.

providing i only have one screen which can display the 4 temps at once i dont care.

the screen would need to read -

red
blue
green
base

the the degrees symbol

that little board looks ace and flexibility of fans would be great for if i sell

no set budget, but i understand im going to have to pay for someones time to design and built a prototype.
and then the cost of additional units

int2str:

andy_con:

A display like that is around $25.
Are you sure you wouldn't be fine with a 16x2 display? There's enough room to display 4 temperatures and they can be had for <$10?
I think they're also easier to read.... (see image below)

Which brings me to the next point:
What's your budget for this?

2 - yes as above

Sounds like you can mount the LCD & electronics yourself once received.

Doesn't make much difference. I'd prefer a relay because it will give you flexibility to use any fan you like down the road.
Probably something like this (2 channel to keep the future options open):

16x2 LCD:

int2str:
Are those 12V power supplies?
Can the temperature controller/LCD be powered by those?

in the projector is 12v 3amps and 5v 8amps

sadly the 12v is pretty much used so i suspect ill have to get a small dc to dc converter. but dont worry about that, thats my issue to sort and its easy to sort.

this projector is my first one, so little issue like power supplies i need to address or the next build

so where from here int2str?