State of SD vs. SDFat/sdfatlib in Arduino 1.0.6 and 1.6.7?

Hi folks.

I'm wondering what the state of the builtin arduino "SD" library is vs. the SdFat library (previously available on code.google.com, but now rewritten and put on github at GitHub - greiman/SdFat: Arduino FAT16/FAT32 exFAT Library).

I see old threads stating that SD is somehow inferior to SdFat, however that seems a long time ago and I'm not sure what versions are being referenced? I have pre-arduino-1.0 code that uses an older version of SdFatLib from 2013, however the new SdFat library has been rewritten so my code is incompatible with the new SdFat library. I'm in the process of moving my (really old) codebase to arduino-1.0.6 (for other reasons I have to stick to 1.0.6 for now), and then to 1.6.7 (or whatever is latest).

Has the Arduino SD library caught up to functionality/speed/features of the SdFat library and thus I can move to that library? Or should I go to the latest SdFat from github?

SD.h still uses the 2009 version of SdFat in 1.6.7, very little has changed.

Running the latest version of SdFat on 1.0.6 may be a problem, I don't test on very old versions of the IDE.

If you don't need new features like long file names you could just use the old SD.h.

There are many unfixed bugs but they seem to only bite a few users.

Great. Thanks.

fat16lib:
SD.h still uses the 2009 version of SdFat in 1.6.7, very little has changed.

Running the latest version of SdFat on 1.0.6 may be a problem, I don't test on very old versions of the IDE.

If you don't need new features like long file names you could just use the old SD.h.

There are many unfixed bugs but they seem to only bite a few users.

Has the how do the speeds of writing to files differ between the libraries?

Thanks again.