could we have a test for newbies

every time I come here somebody is telling somebody to read the "How to use this forum" post, with emphasis on

7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags

with widely varying degrees of civility.

this should be automated. everyone should be required to post something in code tags as described in that post at the moment they register. this should be a universal condition of registering.

posting this three times a day; seeing it posted a dozen times a day, is ridiculous.

It is.

But we're not in a school with kids, and neither are we parenting kids in any way.
It should be normal to anyone to read a how to or any manual if available before making use of anything.

If you would do this, then before you know it, there will be an entire quiz testing aspirant members for their suitability to this forum.
I would not want to be participating to anything like that.

I really did see this happening on some forum, where some little dictator thinks he's king, emperor and who knows what else to the universe.
Happy to say i never participated on that forum and never will.

Yep. That is something should teach to touch social idiots who get their kicks by mocking youngters too many times.

Here's few persons that are so above others, they live here, with no other life. They know their stuff, but are so eager to ask "why are you doing this?", like the person asking his/her question should know immediately "oh, I should done it other way". Sometimes I fall in to that too, and feel bad everytime after.

Yes, I teach kids in my real life, in sports. There's no problem for me to try to help them to learn about the thing they are handling, but the correct way to behave with other people as well.

Behave, give the message nicely.
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Kari

MAS3:
If you would do this, then before you know it, there will be an entire quiz testing aspirant members for their suitability to this forum.
I would not want to be participating to anything like that.

+100

The imperfections in a system can also be its strengths. (Take democracy, for example :slight_smile: )

...R

GaryP:
Here's few persons that are so above others, they live here, with no other life. They know their stuff, but are so eager to ask "why are you doing this?",

There can be a different interpretation of that sort of question - an attempt to get the OP to think. Some questions suggest that the brain was on vacation.

And yet another interpretation - maybe there is a better way to do X.

I agree that some people have a better "bedside manner" than others but I don't think any of the regulars is trying to get his/her kicks by belittling newbies.

On the other side of this coin I have seen several cases where it became very clear that the OP enjoyed having a grievance about the way in which advice was presented more than he wanted a solution to his problem.

...R

I agree that some people have a better "bedside manner" than others

Are you talking about me?

PaulS:
Are you talking about me?

Big head !

...R