a-list-of-25-principles-of-adult-behavior-by-john-perry-barlow1

Came across this list from (ao) internet pioneer John Barlow.

food for thought.

To save people going after the link

1. Be patient. No matter what.
  2. Don’t badmouth: Assign responsibility, never blame. Say nothing behind another’s back you’d be unwilling to say, in exactly the same tone and language, to his face.
  3. Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.
  4. Expand your sense of the possible.
  5. Don’t trouble yourself with matters you truly cannot change.
  6. Expect no more of anyone than you yourself can deliver.
  7. Tolerate ambiguity.
  8. Laugh at yourself frequently.
  9. Concern yourself with what is right rather than who is right.
  10. Never forget that, no matter how certain, you might be wrong.
  11. Give up blood sports.
  12. Remember that your life belongs to others as well. Do not endanger it frivolously. And never endanger the life of another.
  13. Never lie to anyone for any reason. (Lies of omission are sometimes exempt.)
  14. Learn the needs of those around you and respect them.
  15. Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
  16. Reduce your use of the first personal pronoun.
  17. Praise at least as often as you disparage.
  18. Never let your errors pass without admission.
  19. Become less suspicious of joy.
  20. Understand humility.
  21. Forgive.
  22. Foster dignity.
  23. Live memorably.
  24. Love yourself.
  25. Endure.

There is a lot of repetition (needs to learn to use functions)

Number 13 is a cop-out.

And I don't agree with Number 16. The much bigger problem is over-use of the word "you" as in "you never listen", "you are a fool", "you are always talking". All of those attempt to lay blame. It is impossible to know what is in another person's mind. Saying, for example "I don't feel listened to" explains the only thing I know - how I feel.

I object to the message in Numbers 15 and 23. The marketing folks will love it as it creates the notion that a person has no worth if they do not excel and is a recipe for unhappiness and debt.

...R

“desiderata”

Thank you.

"Expect no more of anyone than you yourself can deliver."
The only thing I disagree with, I have too many things I cannot deliver. :confused:

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.

You've got to be kidding. Where does the guy wearing the suicide vest fit into this? Or the mugger, or drunk driver?

Seems like a liberal wankfest to me...

Expect no more of anyone than you yourself can deliver.

I'll keep this in mind if I ever need a surgeon. Or a lawyer, or an accountant. I wonder of athletic coaches adhere to this principle when training the team.

This is the one I like:

I would change No. 4 to
"Expand your sense of humour."

Where on the list is.

"SEX" :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Tom... :o

What is “SIX” ? 8)

Sex is covered in 24 and 6. Speaking of that, I was doing #24 vigorously the other day and I happened to look over and Alexa had her blue light flashing like she was recording me. Creepy.

TKall:
You've got to be kidding. Where does the guy wearing the suicide vest fit into this? Or the mugger, or drunk driver?

He did not say they were more noble, just not to assume they did not think they were noble.
The suicide bomber is prepared to die, is a drone pilot more or less noble?

The drone pilot that kills the suicide bomber is more noble.

TKall:
The drone pilot that kills the suicide bomber is more noble.

Not in the eyes of the suicide bomber - which is the point that was being made in the table.

Whether you like it or not, successful terrorists become politicians.

...R

Who care about the eyes of the suicide bomber, they aren’t recoverable.

I'm sure Daniel Pearl would be pleased to hear robin2 is so understanding.

The problem I have with Replies #15 and #16 is that they are only looking at one side of the issue. The suicide bomber is also only looking at one side of the issue - the other side.

Peace and friendship is only possible among people who are willing to see both sides.

And that does not mean that I would hold back from shooting a suicide bomber if I believed that doing so would save more lives than it lost. But I could shoot a suicide bomber and at the same time recognize his courage.

The people I REALLY DETEST are the guys sitting safely at home who brainwash youngsters into carrying suicide bombs.

...R

When someone rapes your daughter or kills your family, remember, you are only looking at them from your side of the issue.

Or they are scum bag pieces of s.

Robin2:
...Whether you like it or not, successful terrorists become politicians.

Not successful suicide bombers :smiling_imp:

Drone pilots don't just kill the bad guys. The noble drone pilot kills an innocent family in a backward country from afar using high tec. weapons. The noble relatives of the deceased respond with the low tec at their disposal.

Probably best to observe rule #11

The noble drone pilot kills an innocent family

You sound like an idiot.