Arduino Leonardo - Unable to Upload to Board

Hi,

I just purchased an Arduino Leonardo. This is my first time using it. I'm trying to use it as a mouse. I've had successful results: I was able to upload various projects, and it behaved just as expected.

However, at one point, I tried uploading a more complex code, and it got stuck at "Uploading". Unfortunately, I do not have the code that I uploaded prior to that one, but it was extremely simple; a simple serial print in loop, and nothing else. I wouldn't expect it to break because of such a simple piece of code.

I tried the solution that I've read everywhere to such a problem: I pressed the reset button before hitting upload, and released it when "Uploading" appeared. It still didn't work - I get a new error on every try, but the most common one is: "An error occurred while uploading the sketch".

I always ensured that the code was uploaded using the right COM ports. I also tried every other available one because I'd heard of a virtual port that was used for serial communication...

Does anyone have any idea of how I could go about that?

Did you try pressing the rest during upload ?
Timing can be a little awkward

Ballscrewbob:
Did you try pressing the rest during upload ?
Timing can be a little awkward

Yes, I did. I tried different timings, didn't work. Unless there's something really obvious about that reset thing that I don't get, I think I tried it every possible way...

The last time I had a locked up LEO I ended up re-loading the bootloader.

there are a lot of ways of doing that but it depends on what you have to hand.

vsylvestre:
it got stuck at "Uploading".

I recommend you to do File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: upload(check) so that you can watch the progress of the upload.

After the upload fails you will see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button then paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS(</> button on the toolbar).

I have managed to overwrite the bootloader on my Leonardo several times. I just burn the bootloader again to fix it. I think it's usually caused by starting an upload with a different board like an Uno selected from the Tools > Board menu, then realizing it's wrong and change the board selection before the upload starts. So it uploads the sketch compiled for a different microcontroller. I guess I should have known better than to do that but the IDE really should be smart enough to handle it correctly(upload for the board that was selected at the time the upload button was clicked).

Thank you for your prompt replies.

I tried the timing method several times. From what I understand, my timing seems to be good since the board is detected and the programmer is trying to upload to that specific board on COM2. However, the programmer is not working...

How would you suggest I go about burning the bootloader?

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.0.1-arduino5/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM2
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

You would need another working Arduino to use as an ISP programmer, or you would need a dedicated programmer such as USBasp to burn the bootloader. Also, have you tried rebooting your PC?