Which IDE?

Hi All.

Let me start off by saying that I am by no means an IDE Power User. And, admittedly, it’s incredibly easy to get up and running with the Arduino IDE. However, I am starting to find it somewhat limiting.

My requirements aren’t too complex, but I’d like to move to something that will better handle projects consisting of many files. More of a “project window”, “edit window”, “console window”, “debug window” type of feel. Something where all files don’t have to be open for editing at the same time. And, I’d really like to be able to highlight a variable, function, or macro and then immediately jump to its declaration or definition (regardless of what file it’s in). Or, find every place in a project that it’s referenced / used.

I’ve read a couple online posts about using Eclipse, but the setup process appears to be daunting. I’d hate to spend days hunting down just the right plug-ins, libraries, and board support packages. Plus I also want support for the various ESP8266 boards.

So, I’d love to hear about any experiences with IDEs of greater capability that are also relatively painless to get started with (Win 7, NOT Linux).

Thanks.

Greg

If you are already using another IDE for non-Arduino program development I can see the value of using that familiar system with the Arduino.

However if you are not using any non-Arduino IDE I suspect the effort to become familiar with something like Eclipse is not justified just for Arduino programming.

I don't use the Arduino IDE for creating my code. I use the Geany text editor. And I have a short Python program that I use to call the Arduino command-line to compile or upload my programs. That way I reckon I have all the benefits of the Arduino system without the drawbacks.

...R

I'm developing the Arduino eclipse plugin named sloeber. Most people get it running in 15 minutes. Some never get it to work.

I agree with Robin2 that Eclipse is a step up from Arduino IDE. You have to be wiling to put in some energy to get lots back.
I own ESP8266 and they work together with Sloeber. Even the OTA works (but don't ask me how, as I hardly use it)
V4 (which is still in development) supports over 200 Boards.

But there is something like taste, yours is not mine so I can't guarantee you'll like Sloeber.
Best regards
Jantje