Arduino forums out of action for hours at a time (last couple of days)

Probably been asked or discussed already. Just like any site, these things can happen every once in a while. Anyone know what the recent outages are due to? Upgrades? Server issue? Thanks folks!

It was reported here:

This seems to be a fairly regular problem, though perhaps that was the longest outage yet:

I know there have been a few others that weren't reported and some of these contain reports of multiple separate outages.

I believe this started around the time there were some major changes to the Arduino website (under the umbrella of "SSO", although it also included design changes) which I believe were primarily for the sake of Arduino Create. The earliest report was October 2016, even though that issue tracker was active long before then. I don't remember when the "SSO" thing happened. The couple of those issues where an Arduino employee actually bothered to reply do mention SSO.

Thanks very much pert! I'll check out those links. Greatly appreciated.

If the Arduino folks can take the time to write about this on GitHub why aren't they writing about it here where their customers can read about it?

...R

They only commented on two out of eight of those issues, and that was a year ago.

The Arduino organization could really use their communication channels more effectively. It wouldn't take much effort for them to engage with the core Arduino community here on the forum. Just a post when something happens, even if they don't bother to read the responses. Their blog/social media posts are almost always super generic and boring. I think they'd have much better engagement if they used those channels to communicate about the things their users really care about. It's kind of funny how Massimo Banzi goes flying all around the world to speak at maker fairs and conferences but rarely will spend 5 minutes on the keyboard to reach many more people.

During yesterday's outage, I contacted webmaster@arduino.cc when it was not fixed after four or five hours.

Maybe it helped.

sterretje:
During yesterday's outage, I contacted webmaster@arduino.cc when it was not fixed after four or five hours.

Maybe it helped.

It was good of you to do that but I hope they have some sort of monitoring system that lets them know when their system breaks without needing input from the users.

Sending emails is the equivalent of tapping on the glass to tell the chauffeur that the car is not moving :slight_smile:

...R