Brightest tiny led 3.3V/5V

Hi all!

I'm looking for a led to use as a "lamp" in the darkness for an Epaper screen.
I'm using a wemos D32 pro board working at 3.3V (I have the possibility to have a 5V output too).

The led must be placed in a 1x6x1.5 cm box so it should be quite small.

I'm looking for the brightest possibility taking into account these constraints.
(Of course there is always the possibility to use an external power source but this is not what I'm looking for)

Thank you in advance

Bjack795:
Hi all!

I'm looking for a led to use as a "lamp" in the darkness for an Epaper screen.
I'm using a wemos D32 pro board working at 3.3V (I have the possibility to have a 5V output too).

The led must be placed in a 1x6x1.5 cm box so it should be quite small.

I'm looking for the brightest possibility taking into account these constraints.
(Of course there is always the possibility to use an external power source but this is not what I'm looking for)

Thank you in advance

Would help if you told us where you have looked.

Paul

Cut down a 12W luxeon star sized emitter? You never mentioned heatsinking, that is going to be
the constraint to worry about, 12W is available in small packages and 12W LED will light up a small
room...

Paul_KD7HB:
Would help if you told us where you have looked.

Paul

I've looked on amazon (usually I would look on AliExpress too but I need it quite fastly)

MarkT:
Cut down a 12W luxeon star sized emitter? You never mentioned heatsinking, that is going to be
the constraint to worry about, 12W is available in small packages and 12W LED will light up a small
room...

The box is small and kept together with hot glue so I think that overheating could be a problem.

How much light do you need!?

"An epaper screen" sounds quite small, I guess the LED will be pretty close? Wouldn't 0.5 - 1W be more than sufficient?

I don't know where you are located so I can't really recommend a shop, but around here from one of my local suppliers there are TONS of options! I had to limit my search quite heavily to not get more than 100 results.
(RS-components)

I'm Italian and in the top part of the attached image you can see where the light will be placed.

The question was much simpler than this.
Leds in Arduino community are widely used so I was expecting like "I used this product and it was quite bright" or answers like this.

Have you looked at the LED backlights like those offered by adafruit?

Or a short section of 5V LED strip?

vinceherman:
Have you looked at the LED backlights like those offered by adafruit?
White LED Backlight Module - Large 45mm x 86mm : ID 1621 : $2.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

That is I was looking for! Thank you

Edit:
20€ of UPS shipping :open_mouth:
Edit2:
Found it on a UK website